Who are these men? What are they doing? Why are they doing it? Where are they doing it?

The photo does seem to be an opportunity for appropriate captions, which are welcomed. I will start this off with:

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy"

Gefangene feindliche drahtlose.jpg

Are they testing new No.19 sets at the factory or after repairs?

Richard 19 Sets yes. Plausible suggestion, but they are not at the factory & the sets themselves are not under test.

Testing a dynamotor? (with the AVO?)

Diana

Who are these men? What are they doing? Why are they doing it? Where are they doing it?

The photo does seem to be an opportunity for appropriate captions, which are welcomed. I will start this off with:

attachment.php?attachmentid=125733&stc=1

Or "Enemy Prisoners Wireless" so the two men are most likely German, so it's a captured 18 set?

Diana

attachment.php?attachmentid=125733&stc=1

Compatibility testing between the WS19 and Larkspur?

That's a post-WW2 setup of WS19 (Canadian supply unit, possibly Canadian or British set on Carrier No.25, looks like the dummy aerial is in use) and it's got a Larkspur power distribution box on top of the supply unit feeding the set behind it.

Boffin on right has WS19 headgear with fist mike, one on left appears to be holding a Larkspur mike.)

Avo and (possibly a signal generator) as test gear, so may also be doing stability tests with variable supply voltage.

Chris.

(If you want a caption: "Say again all after nuclear, over.")

It looks as though they could be in a hanger, don't know anything about the equipment, are they testing it prior to installation

It's not big enough for a hanger, it location 36 on the diagram. There is a large building, part of is on the upper right may be a hanger. Between that & location 36 there is a road. No I don't think they are installing the equipment.

Drahtloser Radioaktivitätsschuppen.jpg

Another option: that's not a hangar, they're in a Faraday cage and the equipment is on the back of a vehicle so they can run interference and suppression tests. It's a posed photograph because the WS19 supply unit is turned off and the boffin on the right would find that headset very uncomfortable after a while with the twisted headband. :-D

If the vehicle is a Land Rover then it's at the Solihull factory and I claim my £5 beer token.:cheesy:

Chris.

Compatibility testing between the WS19 and Larkspur?

That's a post-WW2 setup of WS19 (Canadian supply unit, possibly Canadian or British set on Carrier No.25, looks like the dummy aerial is in use) and it's got a Larkspur power distribution box on top of the supply unit feeding the set behind it.

Boffin on right has WS19 headgear with fist mike, one on left appears to be holding a Larkspur mike.)

Avo and (possibly a signal generator) as test gear, so may also be doing stability tests with variable supply voltage.

Chris.

(If you want a caption: "Say again all after nuclear, over.")

Chris well spotted with the mix of equipment as this is circa 1965. Not compatibility testing between the two sets & curiously the sets are not themselves under test, although they are participating in tests of a different nature.

Two ice cream salesmen sending Christmas greetings to the troops during WW2

Well they don't look very happy about it Richard, but I suppose if you were trying to sell ice creams at Christmas time it's understandable.

That dates you a bit, men in white coats selling ice creams :-D

Another option: that's not a hangar, they're in a Faraday cage and the equipment is on the back of a vehicle so they can run interference and suppression tests. It's a posed photograph because the WS19 supply unit is turned off and the boffin on the right would find that headset very uncomfortable after a while with the twisted headband. :-D

If the vehicle is a Land Rover then it's at the Solihull factory and I claim my £5 beer token.:cheesy:

Chris.

Yes very much a posed picture Chris & this is indeed testing electrical suppression & I think you are right that this is probably being done in a Faraday cage. Well done!

Not a Land Rover, so no beer :cheesy:

So looking for answers still for location, who is doing the testing & the vehicle?

Yes very much a posed picture Chris & this is indeed testing electrical suppression & I think you are right that this is probably being done in a Faraday cage. Well done!

Not a Land Rover, so no beer :cheesy:

So looking for answers still for location, who is doing the testing & the vehicle?

Bah! (I could do with a beer about now.)

Hmmm... is the "Prince of insufficient light"[1] involved? If so I'll move my guess to Shirley (Shaftmoor Lane or York Road). Otherwise it's likely to be the MoS (or their successors) and anybody's guess. Alternator interference testing.

Chris (I hate to admit this but I know next to nothing about vehicles and don't even drive[2].)

[1] Joseph Lucas.

[2] Having been (a) very short-sighted, (b) not particularly confident, and © managed to stall the engine going downhill, I decided that "Keep Death off the roads." would be my motto and stuck with public transport thereafter.

Bah! (I could do with a beer about now.)

Hmmm... is the "Prince of insufficient light"[1] involved? If so I'll move my guess to Shirley (Shaftmoor Lane or York Road). Otherwise it's likely to be the MoS (or their successors) and anybody's guess. Alternator interference testing.

Chris (I hate to admit this but I know next to nothing about vehicles and don't even drive[2].)

[1] Joseph Lucas.

[2] Having been (a) very short-sighted, (b) not particularly confident, and © managed to stall the engine going downhill, I decided that "Keep Death off the roads." would be my motto and stuck with public transport thereafter.

I don't understand about the problem of light, but anyway that is not the issue here Chris, no alternators in this vehicle. Not actually MoS at this time more MGO.

If only, Degsy. But there are two photographic clues that indicate the vehicle type & Mk.

Fur all I can see of it Clive it might as well be a trailer, I'll leave it to the post war experts.

Fur all I can see of it Clive it might as well be a trailer, I'll leave it to the post war experts.

Not a trailer Derek, think about the man on the left & what he is leaning on.

Scan0047a.jpg

Mk1 Ferret

Yes well done Richard spot on!

What was it that did it for you? The man standing in it? The new image that just showed the edge of circular hand grab? Or the fact that one just appeared for sale?

Just need to know the location & the organisation doing these tests in 1965.

Scan0047.jpg

Edited by fv1609
Picture