Odd radio mounting tray?

jarrett

Question

Having a sort out and came across this one,it has been overpainted so no nsn visible and is the same size as Larkspur trays(one of the reasons i have it)it has four Barry mounts on the underside and looks as though the arms on the swing out clamps are for tightening in the absence of a spanner?and why the pin on the clamp plate facing outwards or am i barking up the wrong tree.attachment.php?attachmentid=125731&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125732&stc=1

Radio table 002.jpg

Radio table 003.jpg

7 answers to this question

Richard,

It's 54.5cm wide and 32.5cm deep that is the inside measurement where the eqpt would sit,nobody knows on the clansman larkspur group either,it's not for a teleprinter at least not a Siemens t100/c11/r210 as i have just sold a vehicle with that setup installed and it's not for a c12 as that used the 19set carrier.

It looks like it is for something wider than long - the construction is of pressed or folded metal rather than cast so I would expect it to be Larkspur era rather than Clansman. The older Creed teleprinters were that shape see: http://royalsignals.org.uk/LineIndex/74.jpg as were a lot of telegraph and line communication equipment in that era e.g. the carrier set 1+4 http://royalsignals.org.uk/LineIndex/14.jpg which has a case of a style to fit the clamps, I think

Iain

It looks like it is for something wider than long - the construction is of pressed or folded metal rather than cast so I would expect it to be Larkspur era rather than Clansman. The older Creed teleprinters were that shape see: http://royalsignals.org.uk/LineIndex/74.jpg as were a lot of telegraph and line communication equipment in that era e.g. the carrier set 1+4 http://royalsignals.org.uk/LineIndex/14.jpg which has a case of a style to fit the clamps, I think

Iain

It could well be for the Creed 7B WD, but no chance for the CST 1+4 MK.3 which is fitted with fold-out rack ears for 19" mounting (as is its mains power unit).

Another possibility would be Typex, but I'd have thought that would be obsolete by then (and probably too fragile for that kind of mounting).

The Creed 7B (WD) was certainly robust and stayed in service until replaced by the Siemens T100R (which was a considerably tougher beast than the intended Creed replacement (75? or maybe 444?)), so it may well have been for one of them.

Chris.

Chris,

It crossed my mind that it may be for the a14 vehicle mounting gubbins which is quite a slim affair but only having seen one once i seem to recall it was something like the a13 vehicle mount but without the legs although i could be going off track,although it is the two holes in the clamp that are odd,are they for a strap to go across or for bolts to go through to attach whatever they hold.

Hi

Not for the A14, the in-vehicle mount looks like (must get round to fitting it in my vehicle some time).

attachment.php?attachmentid=126216&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=126217&stc=1

On the underside tther are 4 rubber mounts

The in-vehicle A13 has 4 pillars (very very over engineered !) and looks like this

attachment.php?attachmentid=126222&stc=1

Cheers

Richard

image.jpg

image 5.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg