Unusual wheels

nz2

My son came home from an auction with a number of old axles. Amongst the parts is a pair of cast wheels with slightly oval holes. The hubs they are attached to appear to be Dennis and the axle also Dennis but earlier.The wheels are 24 inches in diameter with a raised edge on the inner side and a groove to the outer edge for a locking ring.

Two questions arise; was the tyre fitted direct to the rim, considering the small size of the lip on the inside edge, or was this a detachable rim that was slid on with a fitted tyre. The second idea would require some form of locking bolts to prevent sideways travel.

One bearing cap is extended (as shown) and hollow with the name Henry Miller London cast into the brass edge. It's use?

Stamped between the wheels nuts in one area are the numbers 68998 or if inverted to be read as 86689.

Can anyone identify a maker or what they were attached to?

Doug

attachment.php?attachmentid=125346&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125347&stc=1

Auction Wheel holes alt eml 600.jpg

Auction wheel groove alt eml 604.jpg

Hi Doug - good to see you are still acquiring unusual bits and pieces... we love a challenge. As it turns out Henry Miller does appear on the internet. They produced lifting equipment. Wonder whether this could be a part of an early yard crane?

RAS

Not sure but the axle is there any thing on it or does it run straight through?

My first thought is it looks like a fly wheel

The wheels are on a Dennis axle (probably pre 1920) which has latter Dennis hubs, so it has been changed about over the years. It shows use as a trailer.

The wheels are far too thin and light to be used as a flywheel.

Doug

• 2 months later...

And another set of unusual wheels arrive at home.

I was told these were on a Thornycroft and could well be an after-market adaption using pneumatic tyres matched to straight stub axles with bronze bushes. There appears to be no casting marks about the cast wheel and the tyre size is that of a 24 inch rim.

The overall pattern of the rim with it's hole pattern is like that of War Dept Thornycroft, however here the holes are smaller in diameter. The W.D. wheels were steel where as this set are cast.

Have others seen any similar rims?

Doug

attachment.php?attachmentid=127504&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=127503&stc=1

Thornycroft wheels cast 1 June 17 alt eml  850.jpg

Thornycroft wheels cast 2  alt eml June 17 849.jpg

Doug, the last set of wheels are definatly thornycroft, I have two sets, one set still attached to the diff, the others are loose, I think they were optional wheels for the BT thornycrofts from early twenties on, both my sets came with the BT collection of Terry's, that most was gathered up from around the hawkes bay region,

mike.

Two questions arise; was the tyre fitted direct to the rim, considering the small size of the lip on the inside edge, or was this a detachable rim that was slid on with a fitted tyre. The second idea would require some form of locking bolts to prevent sideways travel.

Could it have been fitted with a solid rubber tyre?

Doug, the last set of wheels are definatly thornycroft, I have two sets, one set still attached to the diff, the others are loose, I think they were optional wheels for the BT thornycrofts from early twenties on, both my sets came with the BT collection of Terry's, that most was gathered up from around the hawkes bay region,

mike.

Thanks Mike. Lets see if there are any other replies from about the world for otherwise I wonder if these cast wheels were made locally.

Doug