James ML wheels rims and hubs

Tom M

Hello,

I have a 1943 James ML project which has halted for a number of years awaiting wheel rims. Which has been frustrating as the frame and engine are good to go! After finding a single WM0 rim I had spokes made up but when I attempted to build the front wheel the spokes were too long. Which either means I've specified the wrong spoke length or the hubs are wrong.

Can anyone tell me how to identify if I have the correct hubs. I also spoke to Hitchcock's Motorcycles today who have Flying Flea wheel rims (WM0) in stock and they informed me that the rim holes are drilled at angle to suit the wheel hub. Does anyone know if the Flea rim and ML rim are the same?

I'm eager to get this project finished now as its been stagnating in the garage for more years than I can remember! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I know of several guys with dormant ML projects because of missing wheels. The ML hubs are pretty well unique. If you have the hubs, the rest should be easy and I'm sure that someone like https://www.devonrimcompany.com/ can sort out the rims and spokes. "Just another day at the office" Some pix of your hubs would help. Ron

Lightweights 294.jpg

Edited by Ron

I too, am looking for a set of wheels.........Lol.......for my second ML project........

For info, both the Flea and the ML used WMO 19" size rims.......BUT, the ML specified 36 spokes front and rear whereas the Flea used 40 spokes per wheel.................

The ML hubs are pretty unique, BUT were made by the British Hub Co in Birmingham so worse case scenario other lightweight hubs could be modified..............

Thanks gents, I will get some pictures of the front and rear hubs with sizes. I have a couple of other front hubs amongst the gathered wheels. I will take some pictures of those as well. If they are of use to anyone to help finish another ML then let me know. I have a 40 hole front hub if it's any use to anyone with a flea.

P.S. What is so unique about the ML hubs? I've heard they were rubbish, but apart from that...

Unique in as much as they weren't fitted to anything else (to my knowledge). I don't know why they would be considered rubbish? Apart from the brakes not being that good by modern standards.......But that applies to lots of vehicles/bikes of the era. Try driving an Austin Tilly down from Portland Bill........Very scary I can tell you!! I'd be more than happy to buy any spare Flea/ML hubs from you. Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Gents,

I have finally got into the workshop to dig out my ML? hubs. Here are some pictures of what I have. The first three pictures are what I am hoping are the correct (or near enough) hubs for the James ML (36 hole, the rear was on a WM0 rim, but it was shot to pieces), the 4th and 5th pictures are a 40 hole hub I am have spare, the 6th and 7th are another 40 hole spare hub, the 8th and 9th pictures are another 36 hole hub of unknown identity.

If anyone could identify any of the hubs I would be grateful. Hopefully there two of them ML hubs. What I don't use on the ML are all surplus to requirements. I also have a 40 hole rear hub and rim (both that and the pictured rim in red oxide are on WM1-19 rims).

attachment.php?attachmentid=125696&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125697&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125698&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125699&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125700&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125701&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125702&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125703&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125704&stc=1

Many thanks,

Tom

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Firstly wdbikemad (Steve) is wrong about the Flea. (Which is unusual for him) The Flea also has 36 spokes front and back. Unless of coarse they fitted 40 to post war Fleas?

I'm fairly sure your pictures 8 & 9 is an Autocycle Wheel. I have an identical looking hub and brake plate on my 1939 James Autocycle but it is the smaller 32 hole version. The brake anchor slides up into slot on the inside of the fork. They up-rated it when they went to girder forks to the larger 36 hole type. Ron

James 126.jpg

Edited by Ron