Film Prop Quality Barbed Wire

ferretfixer

As the Title suggests. I am looking for some Realistic Film Prop/ Fake Barbed wire for my Display.

NOT the flimsy painted string type! REAL galvanised twin twist metal wire. with PLASTIC 'Barbs'

On it.

I just missed some a couple of weeks back. After enquiring with the seller, after his details were given

To Me!........:mad:

This is a SERIOUS enquiry, that will result in a sale!

Can anyone point Me in the right direction. Or get back to Me with a price, if you have some for sale please?

Many thanks in advance! :thanx:Mike.

Have you tried a search on the film prop companies same ones that can rent out kit, they may have a source or some to sell

FIRST thing I did Bud! The one in London will NOT sell it. Only rent it out.

& the other is in the states. NO Email Address/ facility. You would have to write a letter!.......

Which, unless I source some here in the UK. I will have to end up doing! :-(

I want this for W&P in the Main. But it will be used forever onwards in my displays in the future!

Rob, That is EXACTLY What I am looking for Thank You!

And also, a BIG thank you to all who have responded! :tup::

In impatience, I have ordered some which I have discovered. Made in Plastic.

it LOOKs like the barbs are separate on the plastic 'Wire'?....

When it/ they arrive. The first thing I will do, is check for this! If removable, I will remove

The 'Barbs'. & source some galvanised fencing straining wire.

Double twist the wire & add the Barbs on.

If the Barbs are not removable, I will cut through the plastic 'Wire' to remove them.

& subsequently drill through the side of the twist of the 'Barbs'. To enable them to be slid

along the wire, in regular distance spacing!

I know, a bit time consuming, but if you want something to LOOK right!.............;)

Addendum: I have bitten the Bullet & ordered/ payed for a 30Mtr Roll from Flints!

With V.A.T & Delivery = £95.94p................Ouch!.......But I did say it was a Serious Enquiry! :-D

Seeing as how galvanised tensioning wire over here is so darn hard and inflexible I somehow think you will be better off using the material for most applications as made by the maker. A friend has some on a vehicle here and it fooled us all fr a long time and it sat nicely. Taking it apart and trying to make a hybrid may be more trouble than its worth, but then again I dont know what your are trying to replicate.

Can you let us know what both products look like when you get them along with some pictures so we can get an idea in case we need to go down same route

yes of course.

I had no idea how difficult it was to find this stuff. Until I actually started to locate some a few months back!

When People get some, it usually stay in either a collection display at Home etc. Or on a vehicle, & sometimes deployed at a show display.

Second Hand B/Wire is VERY scarce to source indeed at a decent price! I was thinking around the £75 quid a reel mark.

But the new stuff from Flints looks very good quality. So with VAT & Carriage, I suppose £95 is not that far off really?....

Seeing as how galvanised tensioning wire over here is so darn hard and inflexible I somehow think you will be better off using the material for most applications as made by the maker. A friend has some on a vehicle here and it fooled us all fr a long time and it sat nicely. Taking it apart and trying to make a hybrid may be more trouble than its worth, but then again I dont know what your are trying to replicate.

Robin, My intention was to replicate as far as possible. the LOOK of actual barbed wire as used on Battlefields.

you may well have a point on straining wire being a mite too stiff! :cry: I will also look for some 'softer/ more flexible' wire.

to double twist as per the real thing. Before adding the plastic 'barbs' that are on their way in the post!.....;)

RE: The plastic barbed wire in the post.

The actual 'Wire' Is actually as stated PLASTIC. & the barbs obviously also plastic as well. My hope is (& they don't LOOK like they are) they are not moulded as one. & will slide along the 'wire'.

If not, then as originally stated. I will cut them all off, & drill through. To enable them to be slid onto REAL galvanised twin twist wire. job done! :cheesy:

It is surprising how perceptions of what is real can vary. I have been told on several occasions that the barbed wire on this Pig I had didn't look realistic enough. Strange as it was real barbed wire, the rest of the reel seemed to convince our cows that it was realistic enough!

Scan0009.jpg

Sorry Clive, but they obviously didn't get the point! The fields at home in Jersey still had quite a bit of German military wire, waste not want not, that was really viscous stuff. Barbs twice as close and three times as long as the civvy stuff.

Clive, That did make me Laugh! However, if one of the 'Doubters' had cut/ injured themselves on a Barb. Had you

Deployed the aforementioned wire at a show. you can be:-Xt your bottom dollar, they would have complained like hell.

& wanted to subsequently sue you. After vociferously reporting you to a show organiser!....:-X

I want my Wire to LOOK the part, & it will have the 'Bonus'. Of being a 'Frontage' piece of my Display. & preventing access

into the Display area. ;)

As I write this, I have just had confirmation on the phone. Of the impending delivery this afternoon, of the 30mtrs of 'barbed wire'.

I am also in negotiation, with a company, that actually manufactures real barbed wire. They have a 7KG reel of the wire without barbs, that I am also going to get from them. The only difficulty I have then, is sourcing plastic 'barbs' on their own!

Anyone any suggestions for plastic 'Barbs'?..........:red: Mike

Even the roof is not out of reach for those with a sense of curiosity. I have been woken up early by people climbing on the roof trying to peer in. But you might be able to deter them from getting that far with this technique.

Barbs.jpg

Well, The 'Flint' Barbed Wire duly arrived & does indeed look extremely realistic.

The downside is, the coils are only Two feet in Diameter. Not Three Feet like I was expecting! :(

So....At £95 for a 30 Mtr Length (Not Coiled, straight!) that works out VERY Expensive indeed!!!...>:(

As the coil's are only 2 ft in Dia, it would mean I would need three Set's. To enable one set to lay on two

at the bottom. To raise it all up to the height I originally wanted!....:mad:

That would be FAR too an expensive layout for Me!!...

So.....I am waiting for the Plastic stuff in a couple of weeks time. & will check out how realistic the 'Barbs'

Are on that. & if they are readily removable, to enable fitting to real steel galvanised double twist wire?....

Ill update you all when I am ready on this 'Topic'......:-X

Update!

The Plastic barbed wire arrived unexpectedly early yesterday :thumbsup:

The 'wire' was actually plastic round section like string. But obviously solid plastic. Too flimsy to utilise as

Stand alone wire.

Pleasingly, the 'Barbs' were indeed assembled onto the wire. As separate items, & were able to be moved

Along the 'Wire'.

I have 7 KGs of galvanised double twist wire arriving today (Friday). So these barbs will be fitted along the

Length of that.

On inspection, it would appear that all components are black plastic. With Brown paint sprayed over to make

The ensemble look a bit 'Rusty.

Interestingly, the 'Barbs' are injection moulded plastic, made in TWO halves. I would assume this makes assembling them much quicker. By simply 'clamping' the two halves together over the twin plastic 'Wires'?..

My intention now, after stripping off ALL the 'barbs'. Will be to affix the barbs at 100mm spacing's along the real steel wire upon it's arrival. I will be using a hot glue gun to make this task easier. Though I feel it is going to take a LONG time to modify it all. To look as it SHOULD!.....:nut:

When finally assembled, I will blow it all over here & there. With a brown paint to give it a slightly 'Rusty' appearance. Which will help the shiny new wire, blend in 'Barbs'! ;)

Pic 1 is in it's original condition, upon receipt. Pic 3 & 4 shows the two halves of the 'barbs'. Pic's 5 & 6 shows the 'wire' & the 'barbs' separated from the plastic 'wire'. & Pic 6, Obviously the 'Barbs' on their own. 7 & 8 show the two halves of a single 'Barb'.

My Thoughts are that it will be mandatory to glue the two halves of each 'Barb' together on the wire. As a knock/ scrape would otherwise ensure it would fall off the wire. & subsequently get lost in the grass, at a show Field!..

Although this will be time consuming for Me. Upon completion, I feel it will indeed, give Me the 'Look' that I have been wanting for a long time now! ;)

101_3937.jpg

101_3938.jpg

101_3939.jpg

101_3940.jpg

101_3941.jpg

101_3942.jpg

101_3944.jpg

101_3945.jpg

Edited by ferretfixer

Have you thought of 3D printing barbs?

No, too time consuming for Me.

I have x 100 lengths on the plastic 'Barbed Wire' In the post as I write this.

The 'Barbs' will be removed the same as I described/ posted previously.

The Galvanised twin twist wire it sitting here. Awaiting the fitting of the plastic 'Barbs' upon delivery!

Just ordered some glue sticks for my hot glue gun. & upon receipt, I will be ready to manufacture! :cool2:

Edited by ferretfixer

Update!

The Plastic barbed wire arrived unexpectedly early yesterday :thumbsup:

The 'wire' was actually plastic round section like string. But obviously solid plastic. Too flimsy to utilise as

Stand alone wire.

Pleasingly, the 'Barbs' were indeed assembled onto the wire. As separate items, & were able to be moved

Along the 'Wire'.

I have 7 KGs of galvanised double twist wire arriving today (Friday). So these barbs will be fitted along the

Length of that.

On inspection, it would appear that all components are black plastic. With Brown paint sprayed over to make

The ensemble look a bit 'Rusty.

Interestingly, the 'Barbs' are injection moulded plastic, made in TWO halves. I would assume this makes assembling them much quicker. By simply 'clamping' the two halves together over the twin plastic 'Wires'?.

Can you track down the manufacturer and just buy a bulk pack of the barbs?

The only other question: was military barbed wire different to the civilian type? I suspect it may have had longer barbs and they had probably been spaced more closely together.

Chris.

Can you track down the manufacturer and just buy a bulk pack of the barbs?

The only other question: was military barbed wire different to the civilian type? I suspect it may have had longer barbs and they had probably been spaced more closely together.

Chris.

Not something I have ever looked at closely tbh Chris. As Tony has said, German Wire was slightly different. The British Military these days tends to favour razor wire. It is easier to manufacture, cheaper. & as I have found to my cost in Service. VERY Dammed effective! ;)

The scenario I am displaying these days is Bundeswher. From the Late 80s-90's, although the Wire will also be used with 90's British Layout's when I desire.

I just want the wire to LOOK a deterrent at the frontage of my Display. Keeping the great unwashed back & away from touching any of the kit/equipment. & obviously safe from any injury!

There will also be four signs on posts with 'Warning, Barbed Wire' to clarify the 'Danger'. Of approaching into being a little more 'Curious', as to wanting to 'Examine'. Any of the props/ display items!........:cool2:

If you need to know more, or see an item = ASK!......Simples! ;)

RE: Bulk Buying the Barbs. Well, as I have already ordered & paid for x 100, 8ft lengths of the Vitex plastic prop 'wire' sections.

I am pretty well committed to my original plan. Of removing the plastic 'barbs' from them. & with the intention of gluing them on the real galvanised twisted wire I now have. :thumbsup: Mike.

Edited by ferretfixer