RAF Germany Land Rover Series 2/2a - Pictures and Info?

winkle

Hello everybody,

myname is Gerrit Hamann, I am 43 years old and i live in Potsdam Germany. I am a passionate hobby mechanic and as long as i can remember i´ve been always driving nuts and bolts, grinding and welding on anything with wheels.This is my heart hobby and also a good balance to my job as avoiceover-speaker. My main interest is in vehicles, which impressedme in films, my childhood or otherwise. My vehicles are: Citroen DSpecial 1973; MZ ES150 1969 Motorcycle; Land Rover Series 2a 1968.

I'd like to repaint my 1968 military Land Rover Series 2a SWB and give it the original look of a RAF Land Rover from the late 60's/early 70's. But since my Land Rover is a left-hand-drive and i live in Germany, the best way to get an authentic look i think would be the reproduction of an RAF Vehicle stationed in Germany. Landy's delivered to the British Forces in Germany have been delivered as lefty's i read somewhere, but i could'nt find any proof or picture. Can anybody help me?

Kind Regards, winkle

Hi - welcome , there is a quite good colour photograph on the internet same as front cover. It is RHD , IIRC it is a early Rover 10 (your 1968 will be) . On the good pic. the steering wheel is clear , it had deep sills ,the apron is curved & ISTR the VRM substantiates Rover 10. Because it is RAF - it does not have the Army air-lift bumperettes.

http://www.woodfieldpublishing.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p209_raf-police-europe.html

Not read this book - may be info. ?

There would be LHD , do you know your VRM --$$-- ?

Because it is RAF - it does not have the Army air-lift bumperettes.

I am not sure that bumperettes have any link to airportability, or purely to the Army. RAF Rover 8s had them as well (though, as with everything, there are exceptions, though these seem to be on RAF and RN Land Rovers without a tactical (field) role, and, of course CLs).

I have always understood that the bumperettes were introduced to meet a NATO standardisation requirement for vehicles of similar type to be able to push one another, bumper-to-bumper, without locking or damaging bodywork.

10 68

I have always understood that the bumperettes were introduced to meet a NATO standardisation requirement for vehicles of similar type to be able to push one another, bumper-to-bumper, without locking or damaging bodywork.

Yes embodied in MVEE Spec 525 Common technical requirements for military logistics vehicles. Section 13, Sub-section 1.3, Paras 2 & 3.

I am not sure that bumperettes have any link to airportability, or purely to the Army. RAF Rover 8s had them as well (though, as with everything, there are exceptions, though these seem to be on RAF and RN Land Rovers without a tactical (field) role, and, of course CLs).

10 68

There are 'bumperettes' and there are bumperettes.

The "first" bumperettes in the context of S2A (and ongoing) were introduced 1961 (Rovers 6 and 8) these are handed Part Nos. 535101 right hand and 535102 , the primary function was of AIRPORTABILITY (they incorporate slinging point) used along with a pair of rear BIG 'D' lifing loops on the rear X-member Part No. 526873 Bumperette,rear - these are similar to the smaller front loop type and have been used on Series and Defender ever since. Incorporated on a military chassis at the same time were rear-bumperettes , the secondary intended use was for pushing others front and rear as suggested.

Search around , I would have to take photographs , you will soon find examples of these AIRLIFT (yes common parlance) bumperettes , they are longer and curved only at the outer wing position (the inner square-cut at the rear incorporates the pin for lifting purposes) . Obsoleted when the Rover 1 was introduced with unique front & rear lifting points.

The original S2A REAR bumperettes were abt. 1" wider than 'production' Lightweight / S3 109" rear bumperettes.

The "second" bumperettes used at the front were the LIGHTWEIGHT bumperettes as used on the Rover 1 S2A and S3 Lightweights , these have tighter corners due to the vehicle re-design of vehicle reduction to 5'-0" width.

Actually - the first IIRC 6 or 8 pre-pro Lightweights had overwidth original S2A bumpers , continued in service. One came on eBay abt. 10 years ago and was purchased by Dunsfold, they restored and actually fitted the "wrong" time-line 5ft overall Lightweight front bumper / bumperettes. You will in fact see a pre-pro style Lightweight in a photograph 'laid-out' in the MJC book I don't know if the retained the hand-built doors (converted from standard)..

The "third" bumperettes used on the front is the S2A introduced for Rover 10 & 11 (this is the type used on the book front cover) , introduced for (in the main / only/ all AFAIK) RAF Contracts for Rover 10 and 11. This can complicate because it is known some Rover 10 24 volt IIRC were transferred to RAF from Army or Army to RAF - I forget . Also IIRC you may read there were no 24 volt Rover 10 because the FFR role was taken over by Rover 1 - not exactly true.

This "third" bumperette introduced on the late military S2A , carried on in use on S3 military inc. CL's , then the self and same bumperette continued with Defender..

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Wow, thanks for welcome and so many instant information! I think i´ll deal later with the bumperettes, it should be no problem to add them subsequently but very good to know bout so many variants! Since i will start with the paintjob, most important to know would be first if the RAF Land Rovers stationed in Germany or in any other Region with left-hand-traffic had the same BS381-633 RAF blue/grey color as their brothers in the UK. If so, i would be very happy, otherwise maybe i will consider another color. :undecided:

Very good hint with book! I´ll order it right away!

If VRM means the same as VIN, mine is 24415956B

My Car has 24V, military headlights, a military radiator fan prop and leather swivel gaiters.

Thats not my Car, but the look i imagined:

attachment.php?attachmentid=125225&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125226&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125227&stc=1

Kind Regards, winkle

Unbenannt03.JPG

Unbenannt06.JPG

Unbenannt08.JPG

Wow, thanks for welcome and so many instant information! I think i´ll deal later with the bumperettes, it should be no problem to add them subsequently but very good to know bout so many variants! Since i will start with the paintjob, most important to know would be first if the RAF Land Rovers stationed in Germany or in any other Region with left-hand-traffic had the same BS381-633 RAF blue/grey color as their brothers in the UK. If so, i would be very happy, otherwise maybe i will consider another color. :undecided:

Very good hint with book! I´ll order it right away!

If VRM means the same as VIN, mine is 24415956B

My Car has 24V, military headlights, a military radiator fan prop and leather swivel gaiters.

Thats not my Car, but the look i imagined:

attachment.php?attachmentid=125225&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125226&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125227&stc=1

Kind Regards, winkle

The photograph you show - that Land Rover (Rover 8 originally it seems with a few changed features) is fitted with front Air-Lift bumperettes , the lift pin is located out of view at the square ends. The intention would not be just helicopter as when introduced few helicopters had the capacity , it would be for dock-cranes , ships derrick cranes - nets are always best but you can't assume they will be present when needed.

the primary function was of AIRPORTABILITY

I think you will find that lifting was only secondary. The prime reason for fitting bumperettes, to the front and to the rear of Land Rovers, was for the reason I gave - to meet a NATO requirement for pushing. The fact that some designs had built-in lifting eyes was a bonus - most didn't as you concede. And, at that stage, there were few helicopters capable of lifting Land Rovers - hence the design of the "Lightweight". And the various tie-down schemes for stowing Land Rovers inside aircraft wouldn't require bumperettes. More relevantly would be loading onto ships' decks, but, at the height of the Cold War and with the various landing ships then in service, that wasn't normally of tactical concern (though Fearless and Intrepid had yet to be commissioned, of course). Had lifting been the primary concern, there was a much cheaper way of doing it - the method in fact used in the majority of cases, fitting a simple lifting eye to the rear and front cross members. Anyway, 'nuff said.

Fred

I think you will find that lifting was only secondary. The prime reason for fitting bumperettes, to the front and to the rear of Land Rovers, was for the reason I gave - to meet a NATO requirement for pushing. The fact that some designs had built-in lifting eyes was a bonus - most didn't as you concede. And, at that stage, there were few helicopters capable of lifting Land Rovers - hence the design of the "Lightweight". And the various tie-down schemes for stowing Land Rovers inside aircraft wouldn't require bumperettes. More relevantly would be loading onto ships' decks, but, at the height of the Cold War and with the various landing ships then in service, that wasn't normally of tactical concern (though Fearless and Intrepid had yet to be commissioned, of course). Had lifting been the primary concern, there was a much cheaper way of doing it - the method in fact used in the majority of cases, fitting a simple lifting eye to the rear and front cross members. Anyway, 'nuff said.

Fred

Your entitled to your theories , as - as I am.

To substantiate my case - then I would draw your attention to the 'time-line' in particular Sankey Narrowtrack - disc on hubs , intended for a 3 leg 'barrow-sling' , the facilities on the Austin Champ (chassis member lifting points front & rear). These airlift bumperettes originated 1961 - at that date RoRo's were not so common , certainly not for charter anywhere/anyplace , you will even find photographs of Champ & Sankey on a dockside awaiting derricking on ships.

I myself in my youth before the mast as a junior engineer on the MV Cannanore and SS Patonga - apparently in its day the largest reefer with heaviest lift derricks (mining machinery and locomotives to South Africa and Australia) - know better of the situation..

Edited by ruxy
spelin

76AA99 seems to be a review vehicle , typical RAF Contract eclectic parts bin mix. Front wing panels with military stacked side & trafficator lens (civvy are side-by-side) - these panels are pre-drilled for bridge plate securing at correct position , slots in grille mesh to get fingers through for bonnet release (Army contracts would not normally have this - just a few very early that would be S2) as Army S2A did not have civvy bonnet securing fastner catch lever c/w security hook, they used tension spring clips (even with a spare wheel on the bonnet and strong springs - driving in to a head wind , I have had the bonnet raise).

===========

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5kIlEiLq7M8bjZYODVpYUYyd3M/view

Early (1962) S2A User Handbook.

Page 17

Bumperettes are fitted front and rear. At the front they incorporate the Lifting and Towing Rings.

No mention at all of pushing similar vehicles, actually a very daft idea on a Lightweight until the later design bumper that was with 1/2" for'ard spacers welded on. I probably have a copy of every Lightweight User manual from Rover 1 to S3 April 1979 - and I don't think there was a later issue - all zilch mention of pushing other vehicles - strange ??

The early bumpers - you are lucky to get 1/8" gap between the rear of bumperette and the headlamp fairing-rim , many headlamp boxes were pushed back. Not even the later bumper aleviated the problem , from --KA-- many L'wt contracts left Solihull without front bumperettes and and rear lift eyes , some seemed retro fitted with bumperettes but not rear lift-eyes.

This is a --KB-- (1984 manuf.)

http://slickpic.us/1342357TMjz/?play

End-clouts , square on push at top of bumperette and the whole lot goes back and knocks the head-lamp lens & wing box back !

Edited by ruxy
spelin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

finally some pictures and information on my newly purchased 2a 88. Of cause i'd like to know as much as possible about the origin, correct type and former duty of the car. Maybe you can help me

Land Rover Series IIa 88

First registration 14.09.1968

- left hand drive

- 24Volts electrics

- military rear x member

- welded on gearbox x member

- swivel housing gaiters

- military fuel tank below driver seat (left)

- no external fuel filler

- batteries not in engine compartment

Most possibly the were once mounted light weight style between the seats instead of the middle seat.

Now they are in a apperarently custom made box behind the middle-bulkhead.

- military headlights

- military cooling fan

- many many holes of different sizes in the panels and the tub indicating once mounted equipment like radio antennas on both sides over the rear wheel arches and maybe clansman-antenna boxes on top of the front fenders.

- interesting Switch for rotating beacon and siren, apperarently original !!!

- several aged old style dymo stickers in german language on the dashboard

Many Thanks in advance!

attachment.php?attachmentid=125555&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125563&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125562&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125561&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125560&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125559&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125558&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125557&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125556&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125564&stc=1

DSC_1516.JPG

DSC_1525.JPG

DSC_1526.JPG

DSC_1575.JPG

DSC_1577.JPG

DSC_1586.JPG

DSC_1587.JPG

DSC_1589.JPG

DSC_1596.JPG

DSC_1597.JPG

There are a few dating features still extanct , I think built before mid. 1965 - so a Rover 8 FFR "Toastrack" (still with hand throttle)

Individual wiper motors, spoke steering wheel ,

The instrument panel - could put it as later if originally black painted - however that may not be original , same with steer wheel - the fact that the bulkhead is not for single wiper motor means it is not a Rover 10

Lots of non original electrics like Hella hazard switch , trafficator switch , changes to panel.

---

The rear steels for antenna mounts do cause dissimilar metal corrosion to wings , there should be lots of reinforcements under front wings - normally they don't cause such corrosion.

Far to early for Clansman , front wings would have Larkspur ATU's

http://slickpic.us/13528102DZD