Which pick axe in a bedford MW

Danny P

I would like to fit a pick axe in my Bedford mw but there seem to be two types of British WWII pick axes, the short version and long version. Which one of the two would have been fitted in a Bedford mw?

Thanks,

Danny

I have this fitted in mine , hopefully it's the right one , I can't see them being fitted with a small one as standard , then again mine might be the wrong one ? Hopefully not :-D

Dave

I would like to fit a pick axe in my Bedford mw but there seem to be two types of British WWII pick axes, the short version and long version. Which one of the two would have been fitted in a Bedford mw?

Thanks,

Danny

14448870_1234715613258692_2971984069291314135_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here we have a long (1940) and short (1944) version pick axe helve. I wonder why there is such a big difference in length and diameter of the helve and which one was used in British WWII vehicles, especially in the bedford MW? Don't have the picks but these must be also different. I Do not think it is date related.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125593&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125592&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=125590&stc=1

Danny

20170426_200106.jpg

20170426_200118.jpg

20170426_200132.jpg

20170426_200150.jpg

2.5/8'' x 1.1/2'' No. 2 EYE , UNIVERSAL SHAFT

One infantryman would carry Pick-axe with above , whilst 2 infantrymen would carry a General Service Spade

My understanding - that is the origins , reduced weight for kit. I suppose the larger EYE would tend to be used with vehicles during WW2

No. 2 was adopted for mounting on a Lightweight Land Rover tailgate , along with the GS spade.

The bracket on a Land Rover back door - that is intended for a No. 2 Round Mouth Shovel

3"x 2" standard Navvy EYE , but with reinforcement. Possibly this is a No. 3 EYE - because a miners pick is a No. 1 EYE (1.9/16'' x 1.5/16'')and they are smaller than a No. 2

I think the Infantrymans webbing pick (attachment hole drilled in shaft) is a No. 1 EYE (also mounts to front of a 101" Land Rover.