Cambridge-Cumbria Transport Available

I will be coming up from Cambs to Cumbria with an empty truck (beavertail, winch, long loadbed, 14t payload) the weekend 28/29 Apr.

Might be of use/interest to someone.

Just as much of interest is what you are delivering to Cambs. as well ! Anything I might see on the roads about here?

Well it is a Kew-built Dodge 101a; originally supplied to Westmorland County Fire brigade in 1943 as a 5 ton truck. It stood in for the Windemere Leyland Cub pump escape which was seconded to Liverpool for the duration.

After the war it was given a makepover reappearing in the format shown as a Type A Water Tender; it had a Sigmund trailer pump (less trailer) fitted in the back and towed a second trailer pump.

Amazingly it was used until about 1974 (imagine being in a RTA on the M6 motorway and that turning up...) at which point it was sold by sealed bid tender. My dad was the highest bidder at £27 as I recall.

It was rallied into the 1980s and then lots of things seemed to be a higher priority and it fell into disrepair. I eventually dragged it out of an orchard in about 2004 and set about rebuilding it, getting it to the state shown by 2009.

In a history repeating itself moment I have found lots of other projects that fill my time and so I have not managed to get the Dodge here out to any rallies for a couple of years, and so my younger brother (in Cambs) is going to babysit it for me and get it out into the public eye. Even though it has been stood for 24 months we got it out at the weekend, it started first time and it drove a treat. It is all cleaned up now ready for its trip south this weekend.

This is what it looked like when I started the work:attachment.php?attachmentid=125249&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125250&stc=1

Lots more pictures and a more fulsome story here:

http://rustytrucks.tripod.com/id1.html

P2150100.JPG

cabcloseup.JPG

Well it is a Kew-built Dodge 101a; originally supplied to Westmorland County Fire brigade in 1943 as a 5 ton truck. It stood in for the Windemere Leyland Cub pump escape which was seconded to Liverpool for the duration.

After the war it was given a makepover reappearing in the format shown as a Type A Water Tender; it had a Sigmund trailer pump (less trailer) fitted in the back and towed a second trailer pump.

Amazingly it was used until about 1974 (imagine being in a RTA on the M6 motorway and that turning up...) at which point it was sold by sealed bid tender. My dad was the highest bidder at £27 as I recall.

It was rallied into the 1980s and then lots of things seemed to be a higher priority and it fell into disrepair. I eventually dragged it out of an orchard in about 2004 and set about rebuilding it, getting it to the state shown by 2009.

In a history repeating itself moment I have found lots of other projects that fill my time and so I have not managed to get the Dodge here out to any rallies for a couple of years, and so my younger brother (in Cambs) is going to babysit it for me and get it out into the public eye. Even though it has been stood for 24 months we got it out at the weekend, it started first time and it drove a treat. It is all cleaned up now ready for its trip south this weekend.

This is what it looked like when I started the work:attachment.php?attachmentid=125249&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=125250&stc=1

Lots more pictures and a more fulsome story here:

http://rustytrucks.tripod.com/id1.html

All being well the Dodge and the Leyland with be reunited again in September at Haddenham Steam Rally. Both in the same family!