Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel mix for ww2 vehicles

Default Fuel mix for ww2 vehicles

Following a discussion on the Bedford MW owners Facebook thread, I thought I'd throw this question open here.
    What additives (if any) do you put in your fuel for wartime vehicles?
    It seems that lead replacement is not required but some people mix in some diesel or paraffin to reduce vapour locking. I'm wondering what mix ratios people are using and what I should be wary of.

2. Advertisement

Default Re: Fuel mix for ww2 vehicles

Considering what WW2 vehicles , actually any vehicle pre about 1960, were built to run on, if it burns it runs. Mine do get the ocassional dose of 40:1 two stroke, if I fill from the wrong can. Never seems to worry them.
    Leading the charge!
    Jeeps posed for pictures Dodges were to busy working. I'm not mad! My voices say I'm sane! And I am not in the pay of Jersey tourisim No longer a 101. Now a Dodge WC54. If there is one thing makes me angry, its all the Incredible Hulk Films!! (Tony Banner)

We run about 70 ex military vehicles at the museum, most of which are WW2 or early post war and we only ever use the cheapest unleaded that we can find

Cheers,
    Terry
    82 BA 88 - Alvis Saracen Mk 5 APC VHF GPMG
    00 BB 81 - Daimler Ferret Mk 2 (115286)
    01 BB 07 - Daimler Ferret Mk 2 (115292)
    http://military-vehicle-museum.org.au

I use some additive to stop the green slime of doom growing, but that's about it. Leaded petrol was introduced for tanks during the war, but not for softskins.
    Lessons learned from working with military vehicles, number 10 in a series. "Never tip the strange silver thing with hoses upside down over the toolbox. It will leak gunk."

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Child View Post
    I use some additive to stop the green slime of doom growing, but that's about it. Leaded petrol was introduced for tanks during the war, but not for softskins.
    In actual fact leaded petrol was available before WW2 as an option. During the second half of WW2 the British army introduced a leaded petrol for all vehicles use and it caused a lot of valve problems and modifications to do with valves, guides and ignition timing are often seen in the workshop manuals of wartime vehicles. The lead built up on the exhaust valve stems causing them to stick.

regards, Richard
    Richard Farrant

1943 Bedford QLD - 1941 BSA WM20 - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk.2
    MVT no. 1087 - IMPS no. 57 - AMVCS hon. member and Comms. officer
    KVE President and Newsletter Editor

On our off shore Island we all add Castrol Valve Master and Frost's bio protection additive to all petrol. The Frost product as we have had fuel pumps and carbs showing the effect of bio in petrol attacking the metal. All run well on it and a recent "Head off" showed no problems with valves etc.

Smile Re: Fuel mix for ww2 vehicles

This subject should be so simple , over a period of many years - I used to get on the odd cracker. About 1978 , the Engineer at the Cargo Fleet Works , Middlesbrough - loaned me a book :-

Pioneers of Petrol

A Centenary of History of Carless-Capel and Leonard 1859 - 1959

(published 1959) not a easy book to find - it took me many years to track down a copy for self.

----

What with registered Trade Marks , Pratt's Spirit , Shell Motor Spirit , Carburine (originally Manuf. by Carless) Politics - Anglo-American and a few more

differing specific gravities and boiling points .700 Petrol or .650 gasoline

Phoebus, Pilot , Lighthouse for the autocarist

It is safer IMHO to use the word 'Spirit' in the early days , certainly up to WW2 and .

From page 43

launch Spirit or Deodorised Petroleum Spirit , S.G. .680 , but after that date we generally invoiced the Spirit as Petrol and , when quoting for a new customer (then goes on to explain how the word 'Petrol' could NOT be registered as a trade mark.

---------

The first petrol pumps appeared in the twenties , Movril and Carbus changed from cans to bulk.

Leading up to WW2 , in the 1930's another and novel motor spirit , "Carless-Coalene" (this was ersaz from coal)

Page 76

The Air Ministry interest was understandable. Carless, Capel & leonard had produced from British Coal a petrol which was ideal for the requirements of modern fighter planes. It had a octane No. of 83 , much more higherthan the best quality petrol distilled from petroleum (dino) , the octane number of which was above 73. and it was highly volotile. The first bulk supplies of this new petrol were delivered to the Royal Air Force early in 1933

blah blah

- to offer their petrol to the British motorist and on November 29th , 1935, the first pump selling "Carless-Coalene" was opened at Brew Bros.,

blah blah

Sold at the same price as No. 1 grades of petrol, "Carless-Coalene" was in demand and by the end of 1936 nearly 200 pumps up and down the country were retailing it.

Page 79

immediately on the outbreak of the Second World war etc. etc. About half of Carless, Capel & Leonard's activeties were absorbed under the aegis of the Petroleum Board
    FULLTILT

i was told to use super unleaded because it doesn't have ethanol in, (the the ethanol attacks the rubber in the fuel pump and carb) however at 3 gallons to the mile i stuck with the cheapest i could find and i didn't have any problems
    Eddy8men AKA Rick Wedlock
    ----------------------------------------------------

1941 MK 1* Universal carrier
    1942 MK 1* universal carrier
    1941 MK 4 Churchill AVRE
    1944 MK 6 Cromwell = NOW SOLD
    1944 Chev C15A
    1984 Bedford TM CALM
    1958 MK5 centurion
    19?? MK3 centurion

Are there any additives around that will neutralise the ethanol?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post
    In actual fact leaded petrol was available before WW2 as an option. During the second half of WW2 the British army introduced a leaded petrol for all vehicles use and it caused a lot of valve problems and modifications to do with valves, guides and ignition timing are often seen in the workshop manuals of wartime vehicles. The lead built up on the exhaust valve stems causing them to stick.

regards, Richard
    Ah cool, I'd not come across that before. I do have a questionnaire somwehere that answers what type of fuel is for what types of vehicle, I'd imagine either at the point of introduction or later after problems.
    Lessons learned from working with military vehicles, number 10 in a series. "Never tip the strange silver thing with hoses upside down over the toolbox. It will leak gunk."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information