Fuel mix for ww2 vehicles

Bigjohn

Question

Following a discussion on the Bedford MW owners Facebook thread, I thought I'd throw this question open here.

What additives (if any) do you put in your fuel for wartime vehicles?

It seems that lead replacement is not required but some people mix in some diesel or paraffin to reduce vapour locking. I'm wondering what mix ratios people are using and what I should be wary of.

My strategy based on a bit of research is that I will mix in a small amount of diesel with my unleaded petrol to raise the vapour point and reduce vapour locking.

I will start using Frosts to neutralise the effects of the ethanol.

I have had a WW2 Bedford for 30 years and at no time have I had fuel issues. It stands for about 5 months during the winter and will always start on last year's fuel. Only thing I add, when I remember is Morris's Zero 2000 lead substitute as that one came out on top in a MIRA comparison test years ago when leaded petrol was withdrawn. Never added diesel or paraffin.

cheers Richard

Hi Richard. We have had problems with the Bio in modern petrol down here. For example we had to rebuild a petrol pump on an MW and found the Bio Petrol had "Eaten" some of the metal away at the point the petrol enters the glass cover. It looked like a sculpture of a set of sharks teeth. Another pump showed the same sort of damage. We were put on to the FROST ETHOMIX by the Commercial boys and Motor Bike boys who had experienced damage from the Bio Petrol. Since using we have not recorded any damage. The Ethomix also stabilises the petrol so remains fresh after the winter lay up. We did wonder if Petrol Companies vary in the amount or strength of the Bio they add. For instance we use Super Market petrol as opposed to named brands as the cost difference on the Island can be up to 5p a litre. Just a thought.

Any comments from HMVF members who work in the Petrol business?

There was a problem with Supermarket fuel a few years ago in the south east. Lots of fuel pump trouble, at that time it was kept seperate from the propriatory brands. I think it just comes out of the same specification tanks now.

When I worked for a Bio fuel company Methanol was used in the product.

I thought the methanol was used in the chemical process to produce the biofuel, biofuels being typically a methyl ester, rather than being present as free methanol in the finished product?

Hi Richard. We have had problems with the Bio in modern petrol down here. For example we had to rebuild a petrol pump on an MW and found the Bio Petrol had "Eaten" some of the metal away at the point the petrol enters the glass cover. It looked like a sculpture of a set of sharks teeth. Another pump showed the same sort of damage.

What is the evidence for it being the biofuel content rather than some other factor?

The best I have found over here in the US is Stabile Marine 360. Even protects the exposed interior of the tank....

[h=1]STA-BIL 360°® Marine™[/h]

STA-BIL360Marine-Family_0.png?itok=HF6QfxFy

• Helps prevent corrosion above and below the fuel line – where no other additive can!
  • Ultimate treatment and protection against Ethanol blended fuels
  • Helps clean fuel system to improve performance
  • Stabilizes fuel up to 12 months
  • Use at every fill up
  • Helps increase power and fuel efficiency