Series III 109 Military Landy.

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Hi all, after 3 years of sitting in the garage I have decided to get my old landy up and running. Cleaned the plugs and points and a new battery, turned the key and away she went but coughing and spluttering. This is I believe, due to the old fuel which is in the tank, 3yrs old. Have drained out and replaced with new but my question is, I'm not sure which way the change over switch on the tank should be facing to operate the tank under the drivers seat. Has duel tanks and need to know which side is which. Any thoughts would be of help.

Cheers Steve.

My dilemma is when I sit in the drivers seat looking down at the change over switch, the actual thumb knob that moves from left to right, does it mean when it is pointing to the left that this means it's operating the reserve tank and when moved to the right, the main tank. Once this is known, then I can use one of these stickers.

Brass tap lever downwards fitted on spindle , & decal so you can read it , assuming plumbing correct.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=image+land+rover+fuel+tap+image&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil-fbE-q7TAhUnDMAKHYncCNQQsAQIIQ&biw=1280&bih=900#imgrc=69XnhmM14E2OKM:

Move lever to alongside tank required stated by decal

With the bottom of the change over tap to the left it will use the left tank and vice versa. Nice and simple.

So mine must be working in reverse to that as the tap is upper most, meaning the lever is facing up and not down. It's now getting confusing. lol.

So mine must be working in reverse to that as the tap is upper most, meaning the lever is facing up and not down. It's now getting confusing. lol.

It should still work as I said in my previous post, the the easy way to check is to drain one tank, put the change over lever upright and run the engine until it runs out of fuel. Then after switching the change over lever to one side or the other, put some fuel in one tank, loosen the fuel pipe to the carb and use the priming lever on the fuel pump. If you get fuel up then you will know which tank is feeding the fuel pump.