S3 lightweight water pump

guykay

The water pump on my lightweight landy has started to squeak slightly & wiggling the fan reveals play in the water pump bearing. Paddocks & Craddocks both say the military 2.25 petrol engine should have a 7 stud water pump, but mine looks like a 9 stud jobby. Is this likely? The engine appears to be genuine military being a sickly greeny blue all over.

which is it likely to be. I don't want to get it to bits to find I've ordered the wrong one

you'd think counting the fixing studs would be easy, but landrover seem to like making even the simplest task a pain in the a**se!!

The water pump on my lightweight landy has started to squeak slightly & wiggling the fan reveals play in the water pump bearing. Paddocks & Craddocks both say the military 2.25 petrol engine should have a 7 stud water pump, but mine looks like a 9 stud jobby. Is this likely? The engine appears to be genuine military being a sickly greeny blue all over.

which is it likely to be. I don't want to get it to bits to find I've ordered the wrong one

you'd think counting the fixing studs would be easy, but landrover seem to like making even the simplest task a pain in the a**se!!

It is a very long time since I was rebuilding these engines in army workshops, but I do recall we had both pumps on in-service vehicles. As to which went on what I can't recall. Count the studs on yours to be sure.

It depends , generally later prefix 365 5mb engines had the civillian pump (9 stud) . The 'military' 7 stud pump belonged with the front timing case cover specific to the FFR (with genny platform) , complicated by the fact that these engines with same timing cover were fitted by Solihull to 12 volt GS trucks. There were in fact two different 7 stud pumps (depending on fan pulley arrangement).

The prefix 365 engines are a little strange because Ser prefix 365 engines were built up as both true 12 volt (civvy timing case cover) and FFR timing case cover - previously the prefix told you if the engine block was built up as a 12 volt or FFR.

It would take a bit of working out the time-line change from 7 stud.

Sorry to hijack this post but will the 24v timing cover fit on standard block. as I need to convert 12v engine to 24v. thanks

No problems at all , there may be the odd bolt of slight different length - I would have to check / compare parts list.