Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new Sdkfz 182 / tiger 1 resto

Default new Sdkfz 182 / tiger 1 resto

looks like the Panzer Farm in Poland is starting a Tiger 1 resto. Don't know why they would go to all that trouble instead of just pulling one out of the river but it's a cool project none the less

After a very long time of "Tiger" parts purchasing, acquiring from each sides, collecting even the smallest elements - we've made the decision about rebuilding the vehicle of our dreams - Pz VI Tiger 1.

It is our biggest, the most priority project on which realisation we've sacrificed years of work and huge assets. Within the space of many years we had to resign from many other concepts and undertakings.

Within the next three months we plan to acquire and buy each, even the smallest amount of parts to rebuild the vehicle as original as it could be. Elements that we won't get from anywhere we need to make ourselves.

In such case, we really need help from those of you who want to take part in this fundamental for historical vehicles' collectors project which is the process of rebuilding very rare Pz VI Tiger 1. Contact us!

If anyone has any information about the people who has elements from this vehicle to sell or about the places where these parts are in - write or call us 🙂

For each part or information we will repay you in the "market" prices
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails panzer farm poland tiger 1.jpg  

2. Advertisement

Default Re: new Sdkfz 182 / tiger 1 resto

Good for them, a lofty goal for sure but I sure support their dream...tilting at a Panther tank windmill of my own...Good Luck Panzer Farm!

John
    Tanks, trucks and such...

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
    ...tilting at a Panther tank windmill of my own...Good Luck Panzer Farm!

John
    in Canada?

or the Ausf G in Houffalize, Belgium? I'm glad they are doing something to finally preserve that one

Here in Canada, I have been collecting as many original parts as I can find/afford, but they will all be hung on a replica turret and hull...
    Tanks, trucks and such...

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcm View Post
    Here in Canada, I have been collecting as many original parts as I can find/afford, but they will all be hung on a replica turret and hull...
    very cool, sounds like a challenging and very expensive project. Couple of thoughts

For the turret, if you can find out who built the replica turret for the Littlefield Panther in California, it would be a lot cheaper to have them make a second one. Or if you have the skills, see if Collins foundation will give you the drawings . they also had repro wheels made

Original parts are crazy expensive, mostly complete Rear deck for sale in Latvia for a cool $20K

best of luck, post back here with pics when you get started

Great idea, but with so few parts, when is it a replication rather than a restoration?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by terryb View Post
    Great idea, but with so few parts, when is it a replication rather than a restoration?
    You bring up a thorny point. So lets have a crack at it and see who I can upset or who will agree with my logic......

Were it say a Spitfire - throw in a couple of wartime crashes and rebuilds, then post war neglect rotting somewhere as a gate guard or on a dump in Africa/Asia/Middle East. Then recovered, totally stripped to its component parts, new spars (because NONE of the old ones can be reused in a flying restoration) , re-skinned due to corrosion, then modified to twin seat configuration so it can take a paying passenger to defray huge operating cost etc.....
    So just how much, give or take, of most of the Spits now flying is original, best guess is around 30% on average, really, the main genuine component is the Merlin NOT the airframe.
    Most of them are the flying version of Grandpa's axe.
    But I have yet to meet anyone who will denounce one as "only a replica" - they would define that as one of those fibreglass
    Spits on a pole at the front gate of an RAF base.

Then there is the P-38 Lightening "Glacier Girl" (the recovery story is so improbable, that without the photos and authentication most people would not believe it ever happened). But that airframe now flying, is effectively a new build accessorised with recovered components. However, given its provenance and the rarity of flying P-38s, everyone goes "oh wow a Lightening".

Then lets consider the couple of Mosquitos that the Kiwis have done ground up builds to result in the world's ONLY airworthy Mosquitos. Without them, there would be none flying, but they are replicas none the less. I for one would not be the least
    bit sniffy about, especially so given even half a chance for a ride!

I do not see why the tank world should be held to a different standard. If Jim has the resources to build a genuine Panther
    replica, or someone else a Tiger (rather than just another bodged up T-55 as is the norm) then I say good on them and I will be intrigued to see the story here on HMVF. Yes I would expect as many genuine parts as possible, but given the avarice of those most likely to be in possession of them as "ground finds", that could be a very expensive nod to authenticity. It may be just as
    cost effective to replicate the parts along similar lines to the way they were originally fabricated.

Perhaps a good guide is the Gosling clan WW1 restorations. They use genuine where they can, fabricate as close as possible to original spec when they can't obtain the real part. (See their incredible restorations in the "pre-WW2 vehicles" category on this site).

Personally, I own a Kettenkrad. It is one of the post war - allied occupation power permission - 550 builds. It took me over 8 years to get a KK and I am not miffed that the date on the data plate is higher than the end of WW2. Although many people are.
    I have had some people turn their backs and refuse to look at it (as incredible as that seems) "because it is not wartime", yet mine is the only KK they have ever been near in the flesh. I don't even bother trying to talk to them if they are that bigoted.

I can name several people (but won't) who will not even consider a post war KK, "because it is not wartime". They have been making that comment to me for a number of years and are still to yet find a wartime build that their bank balance can handle.
    It will not surprise me one little bit if their sniffyness results in them never actually having a KK in their garage.
    To me, any KK is better than no KK - they disagree.

What's that old saying "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck (has bodily functions like a duck)....... then it is a duck".

Besides, no way could I have afforded the cost of a WW2 build (with the reality of ending up with an example in much poorer condition).

Where I would NOT follow authenticity is with known defects. Gearbox in Tiger being a glaring example. Who would want to go to all the expense of restoration/replication with a high failure rate and risk your pride and joy breaking down every chance it got. Better to use modern metals and have a replicated gearbox that looks the part but with some of its innards "tweaked".

Well, that is my opinion from Oz, who agrees/disagrees?

Regards
    Doug
    www.owningtanks.com

Wasn't a tiger turret found when widening the Warsaw-Berlin road, having being mounted as a fixed defence, a few years ago?
    ART - the thinking that makes a great start.
    CRAFT - the effort that makes a great finish.
    Making images more real than realistic: http://www.photo4me.com/canvasprints/Trevor-Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by dgrev View Post
    Where I would NOT follow authenticity is with known defects. Gearbox in Tiger being a glaring example. Who would want to go to all the expense of restoration/replication with a high failure rate and risk your pride and joy breaking down every chance it got. Better to use modern metals and have a replicated gearbox that looks the part but with some of its innards "tweaked".
    Well, that is my opinion from Oz, who agrees/disagrees?
    Doug
    www.owningtanks.com
    I don't think this debate will ever be settled, but I'm not sure using aircraft as a comparable field of collecting is valid IMHO, too much apple vs. Orange. With AFV's when is it "original", who knows? I like a simple description like
    1) "mostly original with some reproduced parts" , or
    2) "mostly reproduction with some original parts" .
    That would at least stop some (or maybe most) of the arguments. There are also some vehicles which start in category 2 and eventually make it to category 1 as parts come along, which is a really cool way to do it if you have the mountain of cash required.

Quote Originally Posted by GeePig View Post
    Wasn't a tiger turret found when widening the Warsaw-Berlin road, having being mounted as a fixed defence, a few years ago?
    I've never seen pics of or read about a Tiger Oswalltrum. Do you have a photo by chance?
    Plenty of Panther versions
    http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/07/02/panther-ostwallturm/

Well said and tottally agree with every word!
    Colin
    Last edited by ww2rupert; 29-06-2017 at 21:52.
    1943 Austin K2 GS lorry
    1946 Austin 12 staff car, ex Foyles war!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information