Start of the GOLD silly season

ruxy

I was told that this story was first printed last Saturday, the 1st of April!!! And why didn't they show the hole in the fuel tank?

Seems like they could do with some maths lessons, 5x5kg gold bars = 881 ounces which at £1,000 per ounce is "only" £881,000.

"Mr Mead and his mechanic Todd Chamberlain were filming the operation because they feared they might find weapons and wanted to be able to prove where it came from in case any awkward questions were asked." But strangely there don't seem to be any pictures of the gold.

I'm obviously not the only one to think the Daily Mail took ten days to publish the story ...

Andy

surely it's not possible that no one here knows this guy as a collector in the UK right?

video of discovery , although it looks like a recreation

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tank-restorers-strike-gold-145639375.html

I was told that this story was first printed last Saturday, the 1st of April!!! And why didn't they show the hole in the fuel tank?

Seems like they could do with some maths lessons, 5x5kg gold bars = 881 ounces which at £1,000 per ounce is "only" £881,000.

they look bigger than 5kg no? 10 I would think

edit, they weight them , about 5.5 kg each

surely it's not possible that no one here knows this guy as a collector in the UK right?

video of discovery , although it looks like a recreation

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tank-restorers-strike-gold-145639375.html

they look bigger than 5kg no? 10 I would think

edit, they weight them , about 5.5 kg each

I don't know the answer but how big is the fuel tank?

Just curious

I hope nobody here is implying that the fellow that brought us such serious accomplishments as the "tank limo" and the "tank hearse" might be pulling a fast one to get a little free publicity? Say it ain't so!

Nick is a super nice guy and I cant believe that you would doubt his credibility like this. Don't forget his vehicles appearance on Top Gear, his driving a fully tooled up HUMVEE draped with bikini girls around the centre of London, his Abbot rides also around the centre of London and his plans to swim a BRDM down the Thames all add to his credibility as a reliable witness

Gold hidden in a fuel tank. Isn't that the plot line from Krazy Keller? Although admittedly you cant get much gold in a Jeep fuel tank.

Well - those 'gold' bars do look as if they were poured in to open moulds made from desert sand. Gold does not tarnish , they don't look as if rattle can sprayed on roofing lead or aluminium from smelted beer kegs. Gold is going to melt at abt. 1050C

Although I have been in a few steel and iron foundries , I have never been in the one and only only local brass foundry.

So - what would the appearance of fresh brass look like ? (I don't think it would look so good as in the photograph) . Probably the surface finish could be obtained with dry sharp/grit sand mix , no proper resin type moulding sand. Even I have some refractory bricks from a night storage heater - that I can get up to the MP of brass (abt. 950C)

ISTR earlier in the thread , it seems a good photograph of the butchering to a fuel tank has been avoided.

To me 50/50 % FAKE news..

I hope nobody here is implying that the fellow that brought us such serious accomplishments as the "tank limo" and the "tank hearse" might be pulling a fast one to get a little free publicity? Say it ain't so!

LOL , thanks, I think that clears up this story rather nicely :-D

Fake news or hoax , well all I can say is it was well presented and carried off.

However , look at this new photograph that is recently posted - IMHO , now I would at least 80% guestimate that it is true 'story'.

Who would patch plate a fuel tank of their pride & joy to further substantiate a April fool ????

http://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/news/offbeat/gold-ingots-found-in-iraqi-tank-in-helmdon-1-7914359

Unless the tank had a diesel leak on the deck ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

Seems Nick is saying the tank had been stolen from bourden museum.. and he may lose it.

Found out yesterday the t54/69, Goldie we have been working every day on for over a month is stolen. Had the police checking the hull numbers on behalf of the military police and they matched one that had been stolen from Bourdon museum a few years ago. You can't shift a huge main battle tank with no tracks on with out lots of people knowing son several people must be involved.

It looks like I'm the seventh owner since it's theft so I hope this helps me hand onto her. The military vehicle world is a small one so I have managed to track down every owner and the wheels of justice are turning,slowly but turning none the less The mod are after blood. The Tank stands me now as about 40 k now and still needs more time and money spending on her so it's time I stopped dead just in case and get a good solicitor on the case.A big shame because the project what's moving along well.

Edited by lowfat

Seems Nick is saying the tank had been stolen from bourden museum.. and he may lose it.

Found out yesterday the t54/69, Goldie we have been working every day on for over a month is stolen. Had the police checking the hull numbers on behalf of the military police and they matched one that had been stolen from Bourdon museum a few years ago. You can't shift a huge main battle tank with no tracks on with out lots of people knowing son several people must be involved.

It looks like I'm the seventh owner since it's theft so I hope this helps me hand onto her. The military vehicle world is a small one so I have managed to track down every owner and the wheels of justice are turning,slowly but turning none the less The mod are after blood. The Tank stands me now as about 40 k now and still needs more time and money spending on her so it's time I stopped dead just in case and get a good solicitor on the case.A big shame because the project what's moving along well.

-------------------------------

You would hardly believe it possible ?? is the island(s) of UK so large for the polis to be unable find a stolen tank of this size ?

However , I think this Chapter may be true LoL