help with landrover markings

ianmaiden

Question

Hi I have a landrover (commercial logistics) and would like help identifing the unit markings. the letters are R E D I and the vehicle was used RE driving ESTB RSME stated on B card. If anyone has I picture of the badge that is suitable for scanning I would be grateful as I would like to have a reproduction made.

44GT59.jpg

10 answers to this question

I'm afraid I have no specific interpretation of that interesting crest.

With all those sparks it has to be Royal Signals & the white swan suggests 30 Signal Regiment.

http://www.army.mod.uk/signals/25278.aspx

It looks like the swan's head has a flaming beacon & that suggests a training establishment of some sort.

Heraldic crests & badges were to be done away with by March 1978 so that should indicate the era of the unit being around prior to that date.

You mention "Commercial Logistics" by that I think you mean you have a "CL". I am not having a go at you but the misconception that CL = Commercial Logistics although sounds reasonable, is a complete fabrication of the internet that gets passed from forum to forum.

CL is simply a contraction of a vehicle being in a CommerciaL class, in the same way that a CT vehicle is in a CombaT class.

RICHARD you may be right but as no date has been given for the land rover if It was in service before 1973 my abbreviation

could be right if after this date then you would be right the only thing l can say it had to be in service by 1978

THE PROBLEM IS that a copy of the 419B card has not been shown

REGARDS WALLY

RICHARD you may be right but as no date has been given for the land rover if It was in service before 1973 my abbreviation

could be right if after this date then you would be right the only thing l can say it had to be in service by 1978

THE PROBLEM IS that a copy of the 419B card has not been shown

REGARDS WALLY

Hi Wally,

It has never had 'mechanical' in the title, it was School of Military Engineering since the 1800's, then in 1962 the Queen bestowed the Royal to the title.

I was at the school for a period on a course in 1980 so am sure of this.

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb%5Erets.html

Try this link and you will find the badge - there is a Sapper link - RE small boats. So could REDI be RE DIVING rather than Driving? Though there should be an S or an E after it rather than an I(school or establishment), if I remember rightly.

And, yes, RSME is Royal Engineers, Chatham has been their home for a very long time. Definitely not REME. Though I see the National Archives refer to 12 RSME Regiment as being 12 Royal School of Mechnical Engineering Regiment, but I think this must be a typo.

10 68

Thanks everyone, Great help.I will try and have the badge made again as I quite like it. And thanks about the CL as I had belived that it ment commercial logistics and had read this on the internet. I have added a copy of the B card for those interested.attachment.php?attachmentid=124822&stc=1

bcard.jpg

Well, looking again at the picture of the crest, I think you can see from the spacing of the letters that it is probably not an "I" at the end, but an "E" - RE Diving Establishment. (If it were an I then the R at the beginning is too far to the left). And REDE fits the B Card RSME and there you have t - a vehicle which spent all its Service life with one unit.

Good luck with getting a badge, though I see REDE was merged in 1995 with the RN Diving School - this from the RE website, "The Royal Navy and the Royal Engineer Diving Establishment combined their diver training assets to form the Defence Diving School (DDS) at Horsea Island in September 1995. The site itself is an outpost of HMS EXCELLENT, and comes under the Command of The Maritime Warfare School. Diving Training Unit (Army) (DTU(A), formerly Royal Engineer Diver Training Wing) is an integral part of this Joint Service Unit and moved from HMS VERNON (what is now Gunwharf Quays)."

10 68