Morris RAF Armed tender - what vehicle is it ?

modello

Question

Dear friends !

I should like to know, what vehicle is the following type:

Morris-Commercial DCTM Mk I/Mk II RAF Armed Tender.

Was this vehicle based on Interwar Morris Commercial D type 6x4 truck ? Or this is absolutely another type ?

Any sample image of that DCTM vehicle ? How many such vehicles were used by RAF ?

Thank You in advance.

10 answers to this question

Out of curiosity, where has the suggestion they were used as armed tenders come from? I can't imagine any being equipped with armament. Indeed the suggestion is these Morris lorries were used for driver training.

The RAF did use armed tenders, such as the Fordson here: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38901

From memory there were also similar armed Rolls Royce tenders - i.e. with a cupola and machine gun (not to be confused with the RR armoured cars).

Wow ! The answer is much simpler, than I expected.

Thank You very much, dear Runflat and 11th Armoured, for Your invaluable help !

This question bothered me for a long time, and now I solved this problem.

Thank You both very much once again !

Regards.

Not a great picture but i had this one marked down a Morris, but i could be wrong and would be happy to be corrected.

044_zpsxsmfkoiz.jpg

Bear in mind that other than the wireless tenders all the vehicles in an Armoured Car Company were armed to some degree (then again if you include the rifles carried then even the WT tenders were armed.)

EDIT: I should have noted, of course, that by the time the Fordson WT tenders had come into service, as seen in the thread linked to above, even they were fitted with scarff rings.

Edited by RAFMT

A couple more with (amongst others) tenders i had tagged as Morris, but once again i'm happy to be corrected if i've made a mistake:

007_zpsf36jjkcr.jpg

002_zps8yypn5ir.jpg

And not to make them feel left out, one with the larger 6 wheeled Morris showing that they too were given scarff rings (I wasn't joking before, you think the SAS were bad with their jeeps, the RAF would put scarff rings on a shopping trolley if they could make it fit!)

AC97-64-23_zpsxbpkfgm4.jpg

Edited by RAFMT
grammar