dodge wc51 exhaust manifold

darrentovey

One useful trick, gently warm some engine oil till surface starts to rainbow then pour slowly over stuck articale. Adding a bit of Disiel fuel will make it less viscous. Freezer spray can also work very well if you can direct it onto the stud.

Edited by Tony B

hi,i am trying to remove my exhaust/inlet manifolds,they appear to be stuck on the studs underneath where the studs go right through,i have soaked with wd40,any ideas welcome,shall I get some heat on them?thanks in advance,darren

Alas a common problem with Dodge exhaust manifolds rusting onto the two long studs, wd40 won't help or any penetrating fluid is of little use in this situation due to the length of the studs.

Remove the inner wing panel to gain access between the front wing and the tyre and apply Lots of heat with blow lamp to the exhaust manifold around the studs...and hope....some extreme methods I've had to resort to, the manifold may move enough away from the block to get a hacksaw blade in the gap where the gasket would be and saw through the studs!, with the manifold off then try to drill out the rusted studs in a pillar drill, I have tried to drill out the studs with the manifold on the engine and its its almost impossible to keep the drill from wandering off line into the cast manifold. Be carefull when trying to separate the manifolds, as the bolts will shear off in the inlet manifold as well.

If all fails alas...The Final resort,.. which I have also done, is to break the exhaust manifold into pieces with a club hammer !!. then drill out broken studs in the block and fit a new manifold !

Edited by Nick Johns

We had a similar problem on a motorcycle site with stuck exhaust studs......same issues of stud rusted into the fitting. Consensus was that penetrating fluids will not work......but yes, WD40 is pretty useless as such anyhow (I use PlusGas). It was thought that Freezing sprays were likely to be ineffectual as well. Best to use as much heat as appropriate to the metallurgy. In the motorcycle case, the studs had to be drilled out in the end and this was done by a local engineer at modest cost. Good luck!

Rather than using a direct flame you might give a a hot air gun a try on the hottest setting (the type used for paint removal) with a small nozzle you have to cook it a bit with the nozzle close to the work piece. I've found it works well on sized parts and provides a very localized heat and tends not to cause as much secondary damage as the hot spanner.

Pete

well,after much sweat and tears I made enough gap for the dreaded hacksaw blade:-\,its off now,,,i have all radiator out at the moment ,is it worth me replacing the fuel line,can the original reinforced stuff be bought at somewhere like dallas autos,,thanks so much for all of the advice I am sure I will be on here again,;),,darren

With all the work your doing, be daft to spoil the ship for a h'aporth of tar. New fuel line isn't that pricey. I'd check, paint, grease and replace any odd bit whilst you have the room to do so. Plenty of copper grease or anti size on any bolt going back in as well. You never know! And a future custodian will bless you. :-D

Going back to this. Does anyone know of a tool that would vibrate something like this. I don't mean beat the C** out it, but sort of an ultrasonic wrench?

Not an ultrasonic wrench but have you seen an induction heater? A useful thread here:-

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=1020410&cmd=show

A review of the Sykes-Pickavant Induction Heater Plus:-

http://www.toolbusiness.co.uk/reviews/The-New-Induction-Heater-Plus-From-Sykes-Pickavant-Leave-No-Bolt-Unstuck

Not an ultrasonic wrench but have you seen an induction heater? A useful thread here:-

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=1020410&cmd=show

A review of the Sykes-Pickavant Induction Heater Plus:-

http://www.toolbusiness.co.uk/reviews/The-New-Induction-Heater-Plus-From-Sykes-Pickavant-Leave-No-Bolt-Unstuck

Never come across this tool before very interesting thanks for posting

Pete