Any EMERs other than white pre-1971?

fv1609

Interested to know if anyone can tell me if they have spotted any EMER pages (not the binder) that are printed on paper other than white pre-1971.

I have a 5-page green EMER from 1970 that is Group 'A' Priority. All pages are a consistent green & it is not faded blue paper. I've not found a green one before, so I wondered whether it was used just as a distinctive colour other than white or whether green always signified that priority?

I don't want the EMER, just want to know if there are other examples of colours or if green always meant that priority?

Interested to know if anyone can tell me if they have spotted any EMER pages (not the binder) that are printed on paper other than white pre-1971.

I have a 5-page green EMER from 1970 that is Group 'A' Priority. All pages are a consistent green & it is not faded blue paper. I've not found a green one before, so I wondered whether it was used just as a distinctive colour other than white or whether green always signified that priority?

I don't want the EMER, just want to know if there are other examples of colours or if green always meant that priority?

Pink was used for pages that contained material classified above RESTRICTED, I believe. (Presumably so it could be pulled out and destroyed first in an emergency.)

Chris.

Yes you are right Chris, but I've never been privileged enough to see any. Although I have some early EMERs with the binders that are marked CONFIDENTIAL/RESTRICTED all the contents are just RESTRICTED.

Although I've got probably all the Hornet/Malkara EMER GUIDED WEAPONS series, which must have been quite hot stuff at the time, they are merely marked RESTRICTED.

Clive,

My understanding was that there were "pink EMERs" and "numbered pink EMERs" and they were indeed classified. Some are surprised about what is not classified above RESTRICTED. However, if it is more that RESTRICTED it would be an accountable document and great care would have to be taken not to lose it or allow unauthorised access. For that reason, you will never see a pink EMER because as a higher classified document it would be destroyed when no longer needed or had been replaced.

John

John yes you are correct there were two types of SECRET EMERs that I think formed as a dichotomy when reproduced in overseas theatres as 'non-accountable' and 'accountable' the latter being identified by an 'A' number.

The thrust of my question was really about the three-level Priority Grouping prior to 1971 & whether Group A always warranted a specific colour? I have a lot of Group B EMERs that are just on white paper & indeed many 1950s-60s that look important but are given no Priority Group at all.

There were changes in 1965 in DCI (Army) 236/65 updating the Priority Grouping of 1958 in ACI 407/58 updating that in 1949 in ACI 878/49. But I don't have any of these Instructions.

I don't have any EMERS prior to 1949 so I don't know if a Priority Grouping was in place then or how it worked.