GMC 352 legality

diggerdog36

What are the rules with driving the 352 to a show with passengers in the back on the bench seats. I have a cat C and D1 license if that makes a difference?

I guess I'm limited to 16 people?

What about seatbelts?

Cheers

What are the rules with driving the 352 to a show with passengers in the back on the bench seats. I have a cat C and D1 license if that makes a difference?

I guess I'm limited to 16 people?

What about seatbelts?

The GMC is an historic commercial vehicle that weighs Over 3.5tons so it Cannot be classed as a 16 seat minibus, your D1 licence won't apply because of the GMC's weight, about 5 tons, Even for Private use unless the driver holds a PCV licence it is limited to carrying Only 8 passengers + driver, ..vehicle is too old to require seatbelts, you need to check the side facing bench seat passenger situation with your insurance company, doubt if they would be insured.

Edited by Nick Johns

• 4 weeks later...
It would be Laden though?

This would be my main question, what constitutes a load?

In literal terms of the law even a bag with your sandwich and crisps in it could be considered the vehicle to be laden.

Would a cargo/troop carrier be legal with people in the back but say a wrecker not?

This would be my main question, what constitutes a load?

In literal terms of the law even a bag with your sandwich and crisps in it could be considered the vehicle to be laden.

Would a cargo/troop carrier be legal with people in the back but say a wrecker not?

That question could be interpreted differently by different police forces

Rules for wreckers and cranes are pretty specific. Rulles on carrying passengers are very grey, Insurance companys are also very specific and also what is best for the passengers. It is allways less stressfull to ask first than to fill in accident forms or statements after an incident. You are going the right way about it. When a vehicle is weighed unlaiden it includes the driver and his equipment necessary to carry out his duties.

It would be Laden though.

Do be very careful making that statement to anyone in a uniform - if it is laden it should be tested. Your test exemption is specifically because it is used unladen and towing an unladen trailer. Passengers are not load.

Generally it is understood that you can transport personal kit, food, camping gear etc but as far as I know this has never been tested in court.

- MG