Old style wire padlock hasps and staples

simon king

Another once common item which seems hard or impossible to find. The MWR has lockers which are closed and locked by padlock hasps and staples made from steel rod, rather than pressed steel. The staples especially are made from u-shaped rod attached to a fixing plate, rather than from stamped flat plate which now seems common.

I assumed it would be possible to just go to a d-i-y shed or on-line site to find some suitable replacement items but that seems a non-starter. I've also tried old style hardware shops in the hope that they might have some old stock somewhere but again no luck. Nothing seems either to be the right size or of the right construction.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it is now time to start searching in Architectural salvage yards, but before I do that, does anyone know a source for these old style hasps and staples.

Thanks

Another once common item which seems hard or impossible to find. The MWR has lockers which are closed and locked by padlock hasps and staples made from steel rod, rather than pressed steel. The staples especially are made from u-shaped rod attached to a fixing plate, rather than from stamped flat plate which now seems common.

I assumed it would be possible to just go to a d-i-y shed or on-line site to find some suitable replacement items but that seems a non-starter. I've also tried old style hardware shops in the hope that they might have some old stock somewhere but again no luck. Nothing seems either to be the right size or of the right construction.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it is now time to start searching in Architectural salvage yards, but before I do that, does anyone know a source for these old style hasps and staples.

Thanks

Keep an eye open for some ammo boxes, I have a Bren Mag Wooden box with 2 of these on,(it held the mags in their metal boxes) whilst its not up for sale they are a good alternative source.