Ferret B60 crankshaft damper nut

ch5993

I've made up a tool two ways. One is to find a piece of pipe or conduit or a socket that has approximately the same inside and outside diameter as the nut. By whatever method suits your abilities and tooling, mark on the end of the pipe where material needs to be cut out so you are left with tangs that engage in the slots on the nut. For example, smear grease, lipstick, etc on the end of the pipe and carefully press it down on the nut. Or paint it with engineers blue and use a protractor and some geometry to scribe out the nut slot pattern. The cut out the material with an angle grinder fitted with a thin cut-off wheel. Castellated nuts tend not to be torqued up very tight in my experience so you don't have to be very precise making the tool.

The other way is to find someone with one of those small hobby milling machines. They can slot the end of a pipe quite accurately to give a precise fit in the nut slots.

Malcolm

Chris,

I have got a lathe and a milling machine with DRO so I can make it precisely. I can easily make the special tool if you either have a good drawing / sketch or a nut for me to see.

I am in Horndean near Petersfield.

John