help

the-blue-cloud

Who can help me?

To which type of vehicle is it?

The recording will be from the time 1958/59 and is taken in Germany.

Is it possible to closed any information about the mark "44" and "4" or the Number "95 BE 47"?

Can the uniforms be helpful in determining the time?

I am interested in the approximate period and unit to conclude conclusions on the area.

Thank you in advance.attachment.php?attachmentid=124463&stc=1

1958.jpg

The '44' arm of service serial looks to be on a horizontally divided background and in the centre there looks to be a Royal Artillery red / blue tac sign which would fit in with that.

I don't have a list of post-war Arm of Service serial allocations.

At the time of the photograph it was serving with the 78th division

No, by this time 78 Div had been disbanded over 10 years. The battleaxe formation sign was taken on, post-war, by 11 Inf Bde with HQ in Minden. So, as this is clearly a Royal Artillery vehicle and if it is in 1958 then it will be from 19 Field Regiment RA also based in Minden, West Germany and equipped with 25 Pdrs. The white "X" on the badge on the radiator grille suggests it is the Battery Commander (BC) of the 2nd Battery (red in 2nd quadrant - lower right after 1st which is top right) (possibly 28 Fd Bty). The 95BE47 is of course, the vehicle registration number - as found on B vehicles registered during 1952/3.

10 68

Sorry got it wrong on the 78th are you saying this champ 1952/53?

Most BE registrations were 52/53 starting with 00BE01 and most Champs, about 5000, with BE registrations were registered in those two years. I didn't look up the individual vehicle. But, I have done now and, this actual Champ, according to the Austin Champ Owners Club, being 95BE47 is actually quite late in the batch so its DIS is later - 1955. But, early fifties, with, according to their site the last one, 17BF88, being registered in 1956.

10 68

Were these two photographs taken on the same occasion? I ask because the second photo seems to be rather different. It is difficult to tell, but, judging from the peaked caps of the two officers present, they look more like guards officers than gunners. The standard British Army officers' Service Dress (SD) cap tends to be fuller than the two shown - with a broader crown and larger peak. But officers of guards regiments favoured caps with smaller crowns and shorter peaks (see photos of FM Alexander, for example). The officer on the left appears to be a major, with a single crown on his epaulette (though he may be a subaltern with a single star, but, as he is part of an "observing" group rather than a "doing" group, I'll plump for his being a major!) His jacket doesn't seem to be standard issue as it has a built-in hood, but it isn't the issue parka. Again, this points to a more senior officer as it could be a personally tailored item. It is worn over, probably, issue combat trousers with blanco'ed anklets which have polished black leather straps. The officer in the vehicle - which seems to be an Auto Union Munga - is wearing a greatcoat with brass buttons. The third soldier is in either a set of denim overalls or, more likely, one-piece coveralls - there appear to be loose ankle straps and he hasn't got them tucked in to anklets. He seems to have a brassard on his right arm and a standard issue dark blue beret. The final individual seems to be a civilian in a trilby. Are they watching a demonstration? As I say, I think the vehicle is a Munga, which points to BAOR, or more likely, Berlin Brigade, but did the Munga in British Army service have the spare wheel on the RHS? Anyway, that's the best I can do - over to others for their opinions.

10 68

Thanks very much for the comments! Be an expert in matter!

Yes, the photos are the same day and yes, the car in the background is a DKW.

Very well recognized! I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My assumption is that the company Auto Union presented the car of the RAF and showed off in the area around Düsseldorf / Germany. Also is possible around Minden.

The British Army in Germany had 2 Munga guys! In a variant the spare wheel is on the right side. The best known picture was made on the occasion of the visit of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II in Berlin in 1965. You will find this:

or

http://www.multi-board.com/board/index.php/Attachment/18002-queen2-jpg/?thumbnail=1

Complementary question:

Is there still a clearing point, which manages image material from Berlin? Search pictures with MUNGA vehicles in Berlin and information on how the cars were separated and whether there is a chance to determine what the special car has been used by the Queen (Mark: 24 XG 47).

Is there a forum of former soldiers from Berlin for the time of the 60-80s? Thank you very much for any reference!

Regards from Gemany

• 2 months later...