Humvee on Wheeler Dealers

matchlesswdg3

Catching up on a recent Wheeler Dealers TV programme based in the USA, the episode centred on buying an ex- US Army Humvee and converting it into an "extreme camper". Interesting that they bought from a US equivalent of Withams and appeared to get a very nice 1992 uprated and rebuilt vehicle (from a choice of hundreds, it appeared) for 12,500 USD which would appear to be a heck of a bargain compared to UK prices! Now I am sure they got some special treatment from the yard to ensure a happy outcome and attract other punters, but the price they paid seemed to be from standard rates depending on vehicle condition with 12,500 USD being for a good runner. After piling on lots of camper goodies, they sold it to a couple of Dutch guys to take back to Holland for 25k USD..........still a bargain. Anyhow, knowing nothing about Humvees, it was interesting also to get a peek into the mechanics of the beast. Worth a look.

Don't believe the prices quoted for vehicles bought and sold on Wheeler Dealers, Mike Brewer does not even buy or sell the vehicles either, the "sellers" and "buyers" are usually actors or even production crew, its all staged and scripted, the production company buys and sells the vehicles, even selling on ebay.

Alas its now the End of the programme as we know it, with Ed China Leaving the show as He does not agree with how Velocity, who have taken over from Attaboy productions, now want to produce the show in the future.

Ed China's explains why He is Leaving Wheeler Dealers---

[/url] Edited by Nick Johns

I agree......I usually take the prices they say they buy and sell for with a large dose of salt.....much stage management I am sure. But as I said above, they were talking about off-the-sheet standard prices for cast Humvees......no bargaining.....this is the price. Now I do not know if that is accurate or up to date, but it may be of interest to anyone who might want a Humvee. I think the yard was in S California?? I find WD is an interesting programme presented for the most part in a non irritating way and forgetting all the dramatic stuff, is more instructive and dare I say genuine, than any of the other (mostly USA) car renovating programmes. As I said, I think its worth a watch. It did make me laugh in the closing segment of the show when after negotiating a very steep and very rocky climb up a mountain track, they fished an intact bottle of Champagne from the shelf of the fridge they had built in to their camper conversion!

I saw the programme and looked into this. You can find some excellent vehicles on the US surplus auctions for good prices. The problem is only US citizens can bid and then there is the export to deal with. I am sure there are ways around it.

Chris

A shame Edd is leaving - but having listened to his explanation on his YouTube channel I can understand why. The new American producers of the show are wanting to cut costs and the primary area of axing was the workshop! For me the interesting parts. Edd felt that he could not in good conscience continue hence the parting of the ways.

It was fascinating to hear that the first couple of series when it was just Attaboy productions the entire crew consisted of Mike, Edd, a director, camera man and sound man. Then Discovery took it onboard, at first in conjunction with Attaboy but gradually getting more and more involved, followed as I understand it by Discovery US - hence the relocation to the US for the last two series. In the process the crew grew to 45 people plus Mike and Edd. The last series was apparently a mix of Discovery USA and Velocity but going forwards it will just be a Velocity production.

For me the first half a dozen series were the best when they were picking up cars relatively cheaply and fixing them using ordinary workshop tools the average guy could get hold of. After that the costs started climbing and the kit used was more and more professional garage. Still enjoyable to watch but the element of " you can do this too" was lost.

Edd apparently has some interesting projects under development based back in the UK so it should be interesting what comes out of that. Maybe a cross between WD and Car SOS?? :)

• 1 year later...

Wheeler dealers didn’t have the pick of the yard 

That Humvee was owned by Steve the guy who showed them the yard on behalf of govplanet. 

That Humvee was planted there for them to pick. It was owned by the guy Steve. 

If they were to buy one they would have had to be US citizens and also had to wait 3/6 months for paperwork to clear. 

If anyone is interested in buying a HMMWV in the UK please check out my website Humveeking.com or PM me on here for into on latest stock of vehicles I have available as website isn’t always up to date. 

Cheers 

Tom 

• 3 years later...

When Mike tested the hummer by climbing to the top of a mountain how can anyone not see that it was all fake, plants grow vertical towards the light and not at a 45° angle as seen in the clip. If you want to make believe that the humvee can climb steep hills make sure there's someone to edit the obvious leaning of all the plants. So fake and unbelievable.