New yard find

Tony B

A new toy has come into my life, subject to finding all the bits of the engine in the shed. A Coventry Climax Godiva pump. So questions if anyone might know, first what type of engine? The bits I have a re a small 4 cylinder flat head, and a couple of header tanks. Second where would the capacity of the pump be found? I think its a 500 gpm. Mauals are supposed to be coming. Third has anyone suggestions as to revive the brass plates?

DSCF0662.JPG

DSCF0663.JPG

Thanks both. The brass plates are instructions on the lower one, can't read anything on the top at the moment, that's why I want to clean them up. The engine is tiny, the head is only about 60cm long, it fits transverse on the frame. There were originally two, so we have odd bits of both. At least at the moment it can be cleaned up as a static display. But what's the point of a pump if you can't squirt with it? :cool2: Recovery is still under way at the moment. Next job is drag it out get it down to the garage.

They had one of these at Arborfield when I was doing my apprenticeship in the early 70s, the only time that it was needed was when there was a petrol shortage in 1974 (I think). The Joiners shop caught fire and we had to run past it to get to the guardroom, collect the fire pump and drag it to the fire, we weren't allowed to use the Land Rover to pull it due to the petrol shortage, when we got to the joiners shop all that was left was a pile of smouldering ash. We did use the pump to damp it down then had to drag it back to the guardroom.

They may well have been Austin 10 engines, but I would be surprised, as CC were producing a range of similar sized engines for smaller car makers and for many industrial applications, and surely they would have fitted their own engines to these pumps?

Any info on the type of engine would be welcome, at this stage I've only got a solitary head. The bits are buried around a well stocked workshop, so more digging is in the offing. Though an alternate would be to source another, if I knew what the Bl**dy thing was! This is litterally Day 1 of the project. Another thing is the pump is sledge mounted with small dolly wheels. It appears to be fixed at the front under a welded hook plate. Does anyone know if the pump dismounts from the trailer? It sems obvious it would, the trailer is raeally a way to transport and store hoses, plenty of which are available.

Edited by Tony B

Hi Tony you may find that the Kent Fire Brigade museum the other side of West Kingsdown will have all the information you need plus manuals etc. If you need more then look no further than the Fire Service Preservation Group, a link to there Facebook page is also below.

http://www.kentfirefightingmuseum.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/534511639928632/

Dave

There were originally two of the pumps, but one was scrapped. However we do seem to have some duplictaions of bits I'll have another hunt around the shop next weekend and see what comes out. First jobs going to be a lot of hot soapy water to get years of crud off. :-D

The Coventry Climax pumps used their own make of engine. It was the Beresford pump that used an Austin engine as I recall.

Now discovered it's the Coventry Climax OSM engine. I'll have to wait till the weekend after next unfortunatley to get at again. If nothing else the trailer and sheet metal are sound, so is the pump, so either a static display or parts donor.

My uncle has a garage full of "stuff" and somewhere in there is a coventry climax pump, I remember seeing it when I was a teenager. I asked recently if he still had it he says he has but it is in bits..... now I don't know if the engine is in bits or the pump is in bits, I will ask when I see him, I will also ask if he will consider selling it, he is never going to do anything with it as he is in sheltered housing a long way from the garage.

Hi Tony, what you have is a Coventry climax FSM pump, with an engine that was made by Coventry Climax themselves. These engines were designed in the 20s or early 30s for a car manufacturer called Swift Motors( the engine number,when you find it will be SM.xxxx)

Swift motors went bust, so Coventry Climax incorporated the engines in there own pumps. They built many of these pump sets before and during the war. The good thing is that you have the trailer, they are harder to find.

I have 2 of there pumps, one Ive just restored from a pile of bits like yours, and another waiting in store. Also working on a Beresford Stork at moment and im picking up a Worthington Simpson pump and trailer on Monday!

All these little trailer fire pumps were ordered before the war for the AFS & then incorporated into the NFS, some also saw military service, they were towed by commandeered private vehicles at first until proper tow vehicles became available later in the war.

Clayton