New yard find

Tony B

Not a good day. Looks like the engine is now some building girder or other recycled rubbish. :noyay: Dave I tried the advert you told me of, but it is the later 1950's OHC engine. Currently looking at trailer and skid to mount generator, so at least the trailer will be saved.

Progress on this project. The trailer has now come out of it's den amongst the brambles and is in store in Phil's garage. The tyres held air enough for to tow it to the garage but if anyone knows of a pair of 5.50 x 16 please let me know. The condition is remarkably good, a patch of rust about 8 x 6 inches through the base plate and some along the edge of one side of the hose store boxes. A high power hose took off the muck, and a lot of paint showing that it was originally grey. Brakes are a bit sticky, but worked free so that;s a simple strip and clean. The next thing will be the pumps compliments of Andy. With the odd collection of bits that came with the trailer one running pump is almost a definite, maybe even both.

The trailer has at some stage been fitted with NATO trailer socket and screw in lights. Though so far I can't find a data plate on it.

clean trailer.jpg

Edited by Tony B

Correct, Grasshopper! There were apparently two at one stage. The engine was supposed to be 'In the shed', but apparently that was scrapped as well. Mind you if the place is ever emptied it may turn up. Next bit is to try and negotiate some nozzles and fittings. There in there somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Current up date, slowly stripping them down, engines are both free but no sparks. Silly little things where they have sat like the carb floats stuck,. They are remarkable little machines, every thing is brass or alloy, no screws or bolts have frozen so far, but getting the exhaust primer valve off is going to be some fun. Time to break out the old Plumbers blow lamp. Work keeps getting in the way.

• 5 months later...

Update on this. Following a year that was total Excrement, including be off ill for a lot of it, but that's another story. The trailer has been cleaned patched and painted. Only serious work was to repair one wheel rim. The construction is massive! All the chassis and running gear is excelent and brakes just needed cleaning up to work fine. Two ex Landy 600.16 tyres scourced and look the part, originals had rotted away.   Took it out for a test tow last week, perfect! So decided to fit one the pumps, took two of us, a winch and engine lift, those things are heavy! Then towed it about 60 miles round trip no problem. Work has started on pump, Data plate shows re-con in 1961, 10 thou over size rings and crank bearings. Oil is clean and engine turns smoothly. Next step strip and check carb them magneto. Points and condenser are suspect but we have spares so should be able to build one that works. It is now tucked up ina garge for winter , so at least undercover to work on. 

• Like 1
  • Up 1

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this after a year - bought a very similar one and managed to bring it back to life last week. Slightly different pipework than pictured underneath the instrument panel, and a different design of the pump trailer, probably a bit later one. The pump still shows a FSM serial number though.

Must investigate if the factory records are somehow still preserved. I assume if the factory was bought by Jaguar Cars, it might be part of some kind of a heritage collection.

• 2 years later...

Many moons ago I posted on this thread that my uncle had a climax pump, well he died recently and I have the job of sorting out his affairs, I have found most of the tins, water tank and fuel tank.

The engine has the magnito fitted, carb and exhaust manifold are off and not yet found but there is so much stuff to go through.

I will probably be looking to sell the parts once I sort them out.... that is if I can resist the temptation to get the engine running :)

Funny you should reveive this now. For a lot of long , and unfortunate reasons, the pump has now gone to a musuem. BUT! I still have a number of odd bits, including most of an engine. Anyone wants them, there free for collection from SE London /Kent.

• 1 month later...