AEC Militant MKI (Front Brakes)

Hutch3674

Good day Gents,

Just home again and I'm am getting Milly already for another MOT on the 24th March, priority one was to check the front brakes which I thought were worn out as the adjusters I believed to be on the final hole of adjustment. I am now thinking is this the first hole of adjustment as both sides of the brake shoes seem to be in near new condition. I would appreciate you thoughts on this one again, I am chuffed if I done have to remove them for re placement.

AEC Militant MKI Front Left wheel 14-03-2017.jpg

AEC Militant MKI Front Right wheel 14-03-2017.jpg

AEC Militant MKI Brake shoe 14-03-2017.jpg

The linings do look good but the adjusters are on/near the last holes.

There are three levels of adjustment: 1 the holes in the arm, 2 the position of the arm spline on the camshaft, 3 (if the linings are quite worn - yours don't seem to be) fitting packing plates (various thicknesses were available) under the shoe ends.

The important thing is that, given the slack is taken up, the cams don't rotate more than about 45° from the closed position - or they risk going over-centre and dropping the shoes or locking the wheel.

If the linings are quite new, maybe the current setup is what the fitter found to be best to start with.

I believe that the linings should be 3/4 inch thick when new. Hope this helps.

Phil

Cheers, thanks very much for your comment.

Hutch

The linings do look good but the adjusters are on/near the last holes.

There are three levels of adjustment: 1 the holes in the arm, 2 the position of the arm spline on the camshaft, 3 (if the linings are quite worn - yours don't seem to be) fitting packing plates (various thicknesses were available) under the shoe ends.

The important thing is that, given the slack is taken up, the cams don't rotate more than about 45° from the closed position - or they risk going over-centre and dropping the shoes or locking the wheel.

If the linings are quite new, maybe the current setup is what the fitter found to be best to start with.

I believe that the linings should be 3/4 inch thick when new. Hope this helps.

Phil