Dodge Chassis Number VS Year of Manufacture?

MainlyMilitary

Hi Everyone!

All problems with our carryall are now fixed and I'm ready to get her on the road. I have a small problem.

I was wondering if anyone had any documents referencing which chassis numbers were manufactured on which date?

To put the vehicle on the road in New Zealand, I need proof of past registration on our roads. I have nothing. There is a way around it, but that involves proving ownership and the date of manufacture so that it doesn't have to be held to modern standards in the testing station (disc brakes, seatbelts, airbags, etc).

The only piece of info I can find on google is this image:

usareg.jpg

But it's nowhere close to my chassis number, which is: 81571618

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Stephen.

Like already stated, get your build card. it give you the day it was built, and all the numbers except the hood number, which Dodge did not assign.

They have shut down the Musuem but here is the link for the cards.

http://www.fcanorthamerica.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx

Here's mine on my WC63.

0d033084-261a-4e9e-a8bf-a0bcb6fc88c0.jpg

Edited by tankdriver

Thank you Both for your replies. This has been a big problem for me. I'm guilty of not using the search function on this occasion and see there was another thread like this. Apologies.

Now to find out how to do an overseas money order ;)

No problem.

I was referring to the guy that answered above me.....

But his info was outdated, and a search would have gotten you outdated information.

This is the 1st post I have done on the new link to get the card.

No problem.

I was referring to the guy that answered above me.....

But his info was outdated, and a search would have gotten you outdated information.

This is the 1st post I have done on the new link to get the card.

Excellent, that's good to know, thank you!!

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. They explicitly state that they need the VIN and the owner on the same document or they won't issue the piece of paper. Because this vehicle is in a trust, I can prove that I'm a trustee and give them a trust inventory with the Carryall included, but there is no Chassis number listed in the inventory.

I have taken a picture separately of the chassis number but I don't think it will be enough. They don't list a phone number and want a FAX or a Letter as their only form of communication... Coming from New Zealand, that gets expensive quick.

Edited by MainlyMilitary
Spelling.

Excellent, that's good to know, thank you!!

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation. They explicitly state that they need the VIN and the owner on the same document or they won't issue the piece of paper. Because this vehicle is in a trust, I can prove that I'm a trustee and give them a trust inventory with the Carryall included, but there is no Chassis number listed in the inventory.

I have taken a picture separately of the chassis number but I don't think it will be enough. They don't list a phone number and want a FAX or a Letter as their only form of communication... Coming from New Zealand, that gets expensive quick.

Worth e mailing before hand. I had a similar problem with my WC54 I needed to prove age but as it was a bequest, I wasn't named at that time. A solicitors letter worked fine. They also e mailed that they had details before asking for payment.

There are Build Cards on file either side of that chassis number here;

http://www.command-car.com/technik/technikbuildcards.html

... which place it to the last few days of August 1942, but getting the exact Build Card would be the thing.

One wrinkle though is that the Build Card date is the date it was built, NOT necessarily the Date of Delivery that would have been stamped on the plate. Trucks started off built in batches and then being inspected / accepted by Quartermaster Corps inspectors, then later on Ordnance inspectors were on the line and inspected them during production. In August 1942 I would have expected the D/O/D to be not much more than a day or so after the Build Card date though.

Worth e mailing before hand. I had a similar problem with my WC54 I needed to prove age but as it was a bequest, I wasn't named at that time. A solicitors letter worked fine. They also e mailed that they had details before asking for payment.

Thanks for that Tony. Do you have an email address for them? Their website states only mail or fax. Mail is slow and expensive (from New Zealand) and fax is impractical. I can't think of the last time I've seen a fax machine in my area.

Cheers! :cheesy: