Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FH 70 operation tips and tricks

Question FH 70 operation tips and tricks

I'm trying to restore a FH70 that has stood for several years. The breech has been lightly welded shut and even though I think all the welds have now been ground off, the breech is well and truely stuck in the closed position. Does anyone know if the breech has any locking mechanism that may be holding it shut? Also, is there any tricks to get the gun to raise and lower - the wheeled handle by the firing lever is jammed! Thanks.

2. Advertisement

Default Re: FH 70 operation tips and tricks

Is it rusted shut?
    1943 WC63...1942 M3 Autocar...1944 M3A1 Diamond T...1942 57mm Anti-Tank

Have owned...M5A1 Stuart

Have Restored...M20

MVPA Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors... https://wtmvc.shutterfly.com/

Some of those welds have still got a hold. A lot more time and patience yet. When this was deactivated it was supposed to be
    perminent. There are questions to be asked before reactivation, if that is the route that you are going. For example, Why are you reactivating it, have you the correct authority and relivant licence. I am just floating these thoughts.
    Last edited by john1950; 14-03-2017 at 14:05.

Hi John, I think you are right about the welds - I will have another go at some point. It's on my FAC for blank firing and display purposes. I'm interested in how it all works, but I'm finding it fairly complicated though! The engine works and the hydraulics do something sometimes! Any tips are greatly received. I can't get the traverse or elevation to work as yet.

One of our members the North Staffs MVT has 2 of these monsters and he lives in the Stoke on Trent area
    I am sure he could be of some help
    Commander

If you get a handle that holds a broken hacksaw blade you should be able to work it up the gap. A dremel is also quite usefull as you can use it in confined spaces. Some of the welds you will be able to drill a series of small holes and then cut through them to join them up.You may have enough space to use a jig saw on some of them. Plenty of penitrating oil on the slides and hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by commander View Post
    One of our members the North Staffs MVT has 2 of these monsters and he lives in the Stoke on Trent area
    Commander
    That would be really useful- how could I contact him or her?

Quote Originally Posted by Hen Hunter View Post
    Hi John, I think you are right about the welds - I will have another go at some point. It's on my FAC for blank firing and display purposes. I'm interested in how it all works, but I'm finding it fairly complicated though! The engine works and the hydraulics do something sometimes! Any tips are greatly received. I can't get the traverse or elevation to work as yet.
    Be VERY careful. Even if you have an FAC for it, reactivating a deactivated weapon is an offence. Have a chat with your local firearms officer before going any further.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by commander View Post
    Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    Be VERY careful. Even if you have an FAC for it, reactivating a deactivated weapon is an offence. Have a chat with your local firearms officer before going any further.

Andy
    Cheers for the advice - I have spoken with my local officer. Its only the breech that was held down with some pretty poor tacking to stop it being messed about with.

There's a FH70 sitting outside a cafe on the A17 or at least was the last time I went that way and I felt like crying every time I saw it! It sits fully elevated with no muzzle cover and I remember how we'd pull through the barrel so diligently putting a beautiful oily sheen to the rifling. Sheeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information