1981 bedford tk 220 4x2 rear brakes

gwrightoy

Hi Can anyone tell me the correct way the rear brake shoes go this tk . The back axle seals leaked out on the brakes again and I have to reline the shoes. The shoes had been relined before but I am unsure as to which way round they go. The wheel cylinder is at the top. There is a thick lining (which I thought was the leading or primary shoe which normally goes towards the front ) and a thin lining which I thought was the trailing one ,which goes towards the rear or so I thought. The thick lining is the full length of the shoe and the thin one is shorter. I was always taught the leading shoe had a gap at the top where there was no lining for approx. an inch or so to let the servo effect happen and the trailing shoe lining went right to the top on the shoe. If I fit the thick lining on the leading shoe there is no gap at the top. To me ,the thin shorter lining with the gap at the top should now become the leading shoe. ? I have the Bedford brake manual for 1973 with the brakes illustrated and it shows a gap of lining at the top of the leading shoe but I cannot tell if its the thick one or the thin one. Any advice would be appreciated. If I put them on the way they were, the thick lining will be the leading one with no gap at the top. thanks .

Just had a look at a 1984 TK750 / TK 220 / SHL2BCO brake set I have. Both shoes have full length linings. One shoe has a cutaway to clear the brake bisector - this is the one with the thin lining.

Hi Sean, Thanks for your reply but mine just has a wheel cylinder no bisector. It has ,to give it its proper title... Girling suspended-vacuum servo-assisted hydraulic system. It has the 220 engine but its a small lorry . I think its a tk570. I suspect it could have the wrong linings fitted as any picture I come across has a full length lining, and a shorter length on the same side( as I have ) but have the same thickness of lining.

Ah, OK. That must be a very late 570. If you have a look on the VIN plate in the cab you'll probably find the model details - the VIN will be in a format something like SKFSHL2BCODTXXXXXX and the letters give all the model codes. Not sure if I have any information but I'll have a look.

Ah, OK. That must be a very late 570. If you have a look on the VIN plate in the cab you'll probably find the model details - the VIN will be in a format something like SKFSHL2BCODTXXXXXX and the letters give all the model codes. Not sure if I have any information but I'll have a look.

Sean the plate in the cab is as follows- TYPE--EHGOBCO . CHASSIS NO. JW108014. thanks