Need a Price Check for some WWII Tank Suits

Old Git

Anybody know the current prices the following items are fetching...

Tan Pixie Suit with Hood, label dates it to 1946

Camo Pixie suit, no hood, label dates it to 1944

CAmo Windproof Smock, label dates it to 1945

CAmo Windproof trousers, label dates them to 1943

Post war Denison, 1959 pattern although label dates it to 1945

Also, Jungle Tank Suit

And Desert Overalls, used by Tankies in Western Desert, with stand collar.

I shall dig out the Sizes and upload them tomorrow, I'm six foot, with broad shoulders, and I think they fit me OK, although I've only ever tried them on, never actually worn them for any extended period of time!

Pete

whatho chaps, apologies for the delay in returning to this thread but my Internet service has been a bit up and down of late, (more down than up actuall). It's amazing how much we fall behind when the Inet service goes, just shows how central it has become to all our lives!

Thanks for the info on the suits. Was surprised at the price difference between the Camo tanksuit and the Tan Tanksuit. I assumed it would be the other way round, especially as everyone assumes (incorrectly I might add) that the Camo tanksuit wasn't used in WWII.

Eddie, if I sell these I'll give you first refusal on the desert tank suit mate! I still haven't managed to get them out to inspect sizes but I'll see if I can't do that tomorrow! Just looked on eBay and saw a Camo Windproof smock priced at £375 BiN. Given that it had been hacked about a bit (full length zip added and then removed and a half zip then added at the throat) I thought £375 a bit high but then I don't know prices all that well, I bought these absolutely years ago so no idea what they're worth now?

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that Adrian. Now that the we are seeing big photographic reference books, on Czech and Polish forces, appearing it is becoming obvious that the Camo suit was indeed in use during the war years. I first became aware of how difficult it is to discern a camo suit from a tan suit, in B&W photographs, when looking at a Korean war photograph on IWM, (search on Alycidon on IWM) which shows two 8th KRIH tankies side by side, in direct sunlight, one wearing the Camo Tanksuit and the other the Tan Suit. Even in direct sunlight you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two. Now I've seen people claim that the Camo suit never saw service in WWII or Korea and that they were probably never even issued. Obviously this photo proves that to be completely wrong. Now, with the volumes on the Czech and Polish forces having recently been published it's obvious that these units had, during WWII, a mix of Camo and Tan suits. I think it's the Czech book that shows some chaps in new tank suits which are very clean and the difference is very, very obvious!

Pete

Here's the IWM pic....

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

THE KOREAN WAR 1950 - 1953. © IWM (BF 163)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Edited by Old Git

I think someone is still going to need to post some photographic reference to prove war-time use. All the living history guys and collectors including myself have been searching for decades without success. Lots of post-war pictures including with the TA but nothing published yet on war-time use. I would have expected it to have appeared on the various forums if evidence had now been discovered.

Here mate..., Having looked at the Korea picture above, now look at the picture of Jimmy Priestly, and the pictures which follow it in this thread.

http://www.onesixth.co.uk/vb4forum/showthread.php?289-The-Pixie-Suit-(aka-Oversuit-Tank'>http://www.onesixth.co.uk/vb4forum/showthread.php?289-The-Pixie-Suit-(aka-Oversuit-Tank)-Usage-in-Normandy-in-1944-a-discussion-piece&p=41561&viewfull=1#post41561

Also, look at this glaring picture

http://www.onesixth.co.uk/vb4forum/showthread.php?289-The-Pixie-Suit-(aka-Oversuit-Tank)-Usage-in-Normandy-in-1944-a-discussion-piece&p=55967&viewfull=1#post55967

Sometimes you need to know what to look for! I've also shown that the term Pixie suit was used during WWII as well, a poem from a 1945 dated Recce journal references it.

I've looked at all the photos under magnification and I can tell you that there is a clear difference between oil/dirt and the clear indications of a distinct camo pattern. On Jimmy Priestly's Pixie suit the camo pattern can be clearly defined on the chest area, and the Czech tankies book, "Cromwelly Ceskoslovenske Brigady" has some very fine photos in it which are quite clear under magnification! But I take your point about re-enactors, thankfully I do this stuff for myself and not for the shrill voices of "Living History" lot!