NATO White paint

Surveyor

I have hunted on the forum and looked at Clive's article on British Army paint but can find no reference for the white paint used under vehicles, usually on the differential to reflect the convoy light.

My 110 Land rover is needing to have this cleaned and sprayed, can anyone tell me the specification for this paint.

Thanks

I want to reply to help but I don't want it to sound like I am making fun of you.

Quite honestly as long as it is some kind of bright white rather than a shade of white I would say you are good to go, especially if a unit did their own spruce up of a vehicle with whatever white was on hand.

I applaud you for trying to be accurate and correct but way under the wagon on the rear diff any white will do the job IMHO, matte, semi gloss or gloss would be a more interesting decision.

My vehicle was painted with something that I strongly suspect was sourced locally, I believe mine was actually latex as I was able to get most of it to come off with a nice hot-water pressure washer. It was defiantly painted twice with slightly different colors of white.

NATO arctic white paint can be a wash off emulsion, you can cover all or 1/2 the NATO Green for 3 colour DP = 1/3 black , 1/3 green & 1/3 white. Depending on scenery .

AMD. errata - the other option was to paint NATO arctic white over all the NATO Green to give the black/white DP (probably the more common) . I am uncertain of the instruction , however I see no reason why not paint the white emulsion over the black in a snow / tree environment first to give Green / White DP , then once clear of the tree line switch to all white ? Black being intended for rocky districts.

Edited by ruxy
AMD. errata

I want to reply to help but I don't want it to sound like I am making fun of you.

Quite honestly as long as it is some kind of bright white rather than a shade of white I would say you are good to go, especially if a unit did their own spruce up of a vehicle with whatever white was on hand.

I applaud you for trying to be accurate and correct but way under the wagon on the rear diff any white will do the job IMHO, matte, semi gloss or gloss would be a more interesting decision.

I have no worries that people may have seen and laughed at the question but I am not worried.

As my father always said how many others are thinking the same question but are afraid to ask.

Richard I don't think you will find that there is such a paint as NATO White.

There would be no need for NATO to define a paint that requires no IRR properties. The point of IRR paints is to mimic the IRR behaviour of the chlorophyll in foliage, which will be minimal under snow conditions.

Perhaps you had in mind UN White? Because there is such a product, the white for UN Purposes is high gloss & shade BS4800 Colour No. 00 E 55

H1/8010-99-910-6722 Def Stan 80-50 Brushing 5 litres

H1/8010-99-220-2359 Def Stan 80-50 Spraying 5 litres

In all the Regulations on painting the diff or parts of it white there is no indication beyond it being "white". The nearest we get to it is in AESP 0200-A-211-013 Painting of Service Equipment, Section 37.2 "Convoy plates to be painted with Paint, Finishing, White".

Not a great help as that is available in gloss and matt. Given the position of the diff & ease of cleaning, if you happen to have a choice then gloss would be the best.

Their advert is a little curious quoting White BSC381C.

BSC381C is a standard for colours for ready mixed paints, not a particular shade, which incidentally does not include white. Although it is included in BS4800.