How to fit drivers hatch spring details on FV439

little ray

Hi Guys, yes I have a broken spring on the drivers hatch of my FV439. I have no removal or replacing details so could any one with a manual that covers this section please help with a scan of that section. The weight of the lid is very heavy and would make just taking it off a dangerous job with out details. I would be very thank full for a scan and send me a copy of that section. Ray

026.JPG

Hi Ray,

same thing happened on my 432-easy to do though.

Take off spindle end caps, hold hatch vertical, using a long 1/2" drive extention, drive the spindle along untill it sits flush in the last hinge position. Slide the extention bar back to the first position. lift out the old spring, fit the replacement (you will have to open the hatch to the fully open postion) and tap spindle back in

have done it on my own-but easier with a mate!

Terry

no, just stood astride it, leg either side-key thing is to tap the spindle out with something that will sit in the pivot holes. That way the hatch can only open and close-it can't fall out.

for added safety I would suggest a couple of wooden blocks over the open and closed side, so if you drop it, or need a rest, the hatch can rest on these still slightly raised.

remember to tap the spindle out of the first pivot, placing a bar or similar in the hole. Tap the spindle back flush to the second pivot to allow spring replacement-that way you still have the spindle in one 'hinge' and a good solid bar in the other 'hinge'

good luck

ps-if you need a spring, contact 'H'