Clansman 320/2

Bob042

Have long known these existed and one is now for sale but know little about them,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLANSMAN-320-2-TRANSMITTER-RECEIVER-BASE-RADIO-USB-and-LSB-/201838067790?hash=item2efe7c804e:g:IDMAAOSw4CFYttwL

What were they fitted into? AFV's? I never came across one in the past life.

Also they need a 100w amp but have never seen one, and they must be even more hen's teeth than the set itself.

I would love to buy it but need more info on it's employment... Lwt FFR's?

Any info would be grateful.

It is one hell of a price though but considering it's rarity maybe not?

Regards

Bob

I am aware of at least one other 320/2 setup still active in Lincolnshire. I don't think they were ever adopted by British forces but were made for export - I'm not sure whether there were ever any large orders. Both Plessey and RACAL marketed Clansman derived and more advanced sets commercially in the 1980s - the 320/2 competes more with the RT321/322 in the vehicle and fixed station role.

I have once seen a partial chassis that had been stripped for spares - I believe that the set is electronically similar to but not the same as the standard 320 - it sacrifices the 100Hz decade switch to make room for an extra (LSB) IF filter inside.

Hope this helps

Iain

73 de G0OZS

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

Because of the price I decided to leave it alone.

I have tried to find out more about it but nothing so I don't think it was ever in UK service except maybe trialed, it did have an MOD record plate on it though.

Regards

Bob