Morris C9B Gun tools

Can any one supply details photo's or stowage sketches for the barrel handling tools that were fitted on the Morris C9B.

They were located on the curved section of the rear mudguards, where they were attached to the outrigger beams.

I think they were hook like links and possibly a spanner to remove the worn barrel and fit the spare barrel carried on top of the rear mudguards.

Any info would be of great help.

George Moore

georgemoore66@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks.

George, do you need photos of the tools themselves? I can take some in the morning but there are two. A fixed carrying tool for the breech end and a folding one with a square bore for unscrewing the barrel and lifting the muzzle end. There are two patterns of the muzzle one.

Edited by Adrian Barrell

George, do you need photos of the tools themselves? I can take some in the morning but there are two. A fixed carrying tool for the breech end and a folding one with a square bore for unscrewing the barrel and lifting the muzzle end. There are two patterns of the muzzle one.

If you can photo them with a tape measure so I can determine their sizes, that would be great. I am gathering info to enable a 1/35 plastic kit to be produced. I have quite a lot of photographs of the chassis, taken many many years ago in a collectors yard Chichester way if I recall. there was just the chassis frame but no gun.

can you explain the difference between the different types. I am assuming that the barrel was changed after so many rounds, and was quite hot, hence the need to handle it with tools.....or do i have it wrong.

Thanks again for the offer of help.

George.

George,

pics below. The muzzle tool bore is hexagonal, not square as I said. Best not to rely on memory these days!

The handles allow the barrel to be carried by four men. With its spring, it's bloomin' heavy!

Sorry about the pics orientation, new phone and sent from my wifes laptop......

IMG_20170304_081609509_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20170304_081620036.jpg

IMG_20170304_081629810.jpg

IMG_20170304_081609509_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20170304_081620036.jpg

IMG_20170304_081629810.jpg

IMG_20170304_081653109.jpg

Marvellous......thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

If you don't mind, a few more questions:

Have you info on how (which side) they fitted on the C9B. I know there are fittings to house them but most photo's I have do not show them in any detail, or they are missing.

Am I correct in thinking that the tools relate to different model guns, in which case I am after WW2 vintage, rather than post war.

Again am I correct in saying the barrel was unscrewed, then held in two [?] cradles....the long bar with semi-circular housing. You mention four guys, so two each side.

No apologies for the orientation, or memory, at 70 I too have senior moments.

Thanks again and I hope I am not being too much of a nuisance.

Regards.

George.

Marvellous......thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

If you don't mind, a few more questions:

Have you info on how (which side) they fitted on the C9B. I know there are fittings to house them but most photo's I have do not show them in any detail, or they are missing.

Am I correct in thinking that the tools relate to different model guns, in which case I am after WW2 vintage, rather than post war.

Again am I correct in saying the barrel was unscrewed, then held in two [?] cradles....the long bar with semi-circular housing. You mention four guys, so two each side.

No apologies for the orientation, or memory, at 70 I too have senior moments.

Thanks again and I hope I am not being too much of a nuisance.

Regards.

George.

SM - Copy.jpg

A bit confused, the only photo I have shows something different fitted in this area. ?

George.

I have no knowledge of the C9B set up George, I have a towed Bofors. The tool are all wartime, just different patterns. The hinged tool is assembled around the back of the flash hider and the barrel is rotated half a turn to release. The barrel is then free to be withdrawn and the other carrying tool is used to support the breech end. Four handles, four men.

Ah,

Thanks for that, sorry to have put you to any trouble, but the info is worth having. I can only think these fittings are sort of hooks to carry / lift the barrel.

As you say it is a very heavy piece of kit.

Thank you for everything, in my line nothing is wasted...all info is good info.....I only wish that over the years of visiting scrapyards etc etc, I had taken more interest and photographs rather than concentrating on one thing.

Thanks again for the help.

George.