Introduction, new member! FMW Matey Dockyard Truck owner!

MTH83

Hello and thank you for approving me into the forum.

My name is Matt Hunter and I run a big restaurant in York City Centre and I am by no mean a military enthusiast... however I had seen a vehicle that I wanted a couple of years ago as a project but missed out on it.... the story begins!

A couple of weeks ago I purchased 2 FMW Matey Dockyard Trucks, one is a runner and one does not run and is missing many parts, I know that these particularly the running one (45RN49) picture attached! Any information about these would be very thankfully received!IMG_4100.jpg

The person I purchased the trucks from was hoping to restore them but due to ill health has not been able to do so. Myself and a friend are doing a full nut and bolt restorations on the truck, the engine and gearbox are coming out, glass, seats, load bed is being removed and we are having the chassis and cab professionally blasted and re painted.

I will be posting updates as and when on my twitter page - twitter.com/cocktialresults or my personal one twitter.com/sprouthunter

I'll look forward to reading some of your posts!

Matt

IMG_4100.jpg

Thanks very much, I only drove it a short distance and it was emotional!

Its in bits now and hopefully we'll get it road registered - watch this space!

Welcome in. There seem to be a number of these coming out of the woodwork at the moment. Don't know if you have road driven it yet, but they make speed bumps a whole new fun experience. :D

That is one job that we'll definitely be doing, any pointers would be much appreciated!

I've seen some bits on the truck from Ford Cortina/Capri engine and box, I believe the fuel tank is Mini Van? and the Steering column early transit!?

we have used one for years as a yard truck had to put a large weight as ballast on the load bed then it will tow any of the trucks here. Just overhauled brakes so I know what parts fit. good luck with it
Edited by MTH83
predictive text!

a lot of it out of the Ford Spares box. Afriend of mine had one for years, and the earliar Mercury. They are good simple vehicle, no nasty hidden problems. The only problem may be the fuel tank, however! If it is reasonable nick, no obvious holes, then consider putting a coating in it. Trying to think of the name, Por something , if I remember.

The truck has had a brand new fuel tank fitted by the previous owner so hopefully no worries there.

The entire thing is being dismantled so it will be coming off again and being blasted along with the chassis and cab which seem to have had 100 coats of hammerite on them 😂

a lot of it out of the Ford Spares box. Afriend of mine had one for years, and the earliar Mercury. They are good simple vehicle, no nasty hidden problems. The only problem may be the fuel tank, however! If it is reasonable nick, no obvious holes, then consider putting a coating in it. Trying to think of the name, Por something , if I remember.

Thank you for your comments on my post about the FMW Truck!

Any info you have on the brake system would be much appreciated, I heard they were Ford parts but haven't had any more info, could be anything!

I have 2 trucks and one has a very unusual diff with a cable connector for brake cables.

The truck we'll be using has drum brakes, are they the same as your truck!?

Thank you in advance!

we have used one for years as a yard truck had to put a large weight as ballast on the load bed then it will tow any of the trucks here. Just overhauled brakes so I know what parts fit. good luck with it