Well, the image blows up to an equally horrible undecipherable image - thanks Clive!

Carrying handles front and rear so designed to be portable, or at least moved regularly.

What looks like a screen print of a Wheatstone bridge on the side - information or manufacturer logo?

Possibly rolls of either print paper or film.

Shot in the dark which I think is wrong - portable developing equipment?

Well, the image blows up to an equally horrible undecipherable image - thanks Clive!

Carrying handles front and rear so designed to be portable, or at least moved regularly.

What looks like a screen print of a Wheatstone bridge on the side - information or manufacturer logo?

Possibly rolls of either print paper or film.

Shot in the dark which I think is wrong - portable developing equipment?

Yes that logo is confusing so I didn't obscure it.

Shot in dark is good. It is photographic recording.

Yes well none Chris sorry I can't do this in fancy text. In a Chinese takeaway on the phone thought we were eating at home.

For bonus points have you got model and mark?

I'd guess that it's the early WW2 version (well, part of the complete unit, anyway), and the Recorder, SR, No.1 Mk.I but that is only a guess. Development came to a stop after WW1 due to budget cuts and only really restarted in the 1930s.

I'll just point you at the late (and sadly missed) Alister Mitchell's paper on Artillery Location:

http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/articles/SRS/srs.html

Chris.

I'd guess that it's the early WW2 version (well, part of the complete unit, anyway), and the Recorder, SR, No.1 Mk.I but that is only a guess. Development came to a stop after WW1 due to budget cuts and only really restarted in the 1930s.

Very nearly Chris, it is a No.1 Mk III :-D