Cavalier tank lubrication chart data plate

Hamble

Hi all,

Something a bit unusual a lubrication chart data plate for a Cavalier tank that I think was fitted to the inside of the tank?

It has the diagram of the tank and then numbers coming of different parts that match the numbers in the list with the type of lubrication needed.

does anyone know where in the tank this plate would be located?

and if any other tanks had similar plates fitted or if it was peculiar to the Cavalier?

DSCF4782.jpg

DSCF4774.jpg

DSCF4771.jpg

Many thanks,

Great find !

I agree that it must have been fitted inside the tank somewhere (or inside a locker lid maybe) but definately there was not a similar plate on Centaur or Cromwell or Comet - the later Cruiser tanks - though the user manuals had a paper version tucked into a pouch inside the cover. No idea about Covenanter or anything earlier but it is quite possible that they had similar plates.

David

The Cavalier service instruction book has the usual fabric reinforced paper version in its rear pocket, though the words 'lubrication chart cavalier' are not printed on it.

There is no mention in the book of a metal version though. The parts list would be the likely place to check but sadly, I do not have one.

Thanks for the responses, interesting to know none of the later tanks had similar plates fitted but did have it in their instruction manuals.

Possibly the manufacturer of the tank Nuffield Mechanizations and Aero thought they were needed so it would interesting to know if they fitted it the earlier Crusader tanks they built?

Perhaps because it was a training tank they thought this plate would be needed to train the crews?

I can't find mention in the parts list (though there are a lot of parts).

Crusader had problems with maintenance due to the loose manuals and tools going missing during shipping though, so a plate with the main servicing points that couldn't easily be nicked would have been a very useful addition to Cavalier.