Fuel injection on MV's

CRSCRS

The Holley Pro-Jection setup was an early turn-key TBI EFI setup, a bit dated now but I had good experiences with them for a couple retrofits, including an M-37B. All the usual stuff, more power, better mileage. I suspect the benefits would be greater for armor since the engine compartments temps tend to run high. Of course, you have to muck about with 12V electrics, also injectors have no sense of humour at all for dirty fuel. The pump comes with filters and such but you have to make sure your fuel line is clean.

The M37 was a success. My civvy Jeep trucks got kits as well: the '72 3/4 ton ran really well, the fuel economy of a lean 2bbl and almost all the power of a 850CFM Holley quad. The '57 Willys, it was pretty smooth and trouble free, but I have to say I could never get as nice an idle or as much top end out of the EFI kit.

What were you looking at retrofitting?

Chris, which Rolls? B60?

There are aftermarket injection systems used on performance and race engines which are very successful. A friend's 1970s vehicle, for example, overstroked from 2.3 to 2.6 and injected, will pull comfortably and cleanly from 20 to 120 in top (overdriven) gear. I can't see why they should be any less successful in your application.

You are looking at a significant investment though, given purchase, fitting, rolling road tuning and mapping. It may not be economically viable particularly for an engine that perhaps sees limited use - the costs would buy a lot of petrol even at todays' prices. Alternatively if the concern is economy, LPG may be a viable option.

The B60's were not a bad engine for power.....when you think of when it was built and its a side valve engine.

i am sure I read somewhere though that they are pigs to modify, you cannot skim the heads to increase compression or shim the head to lower compression due to the valve arrangement, you cannot increase the revs without major balancing work as the rods come through the block at about 4,000 plus RPM, and injection will not really add much in the way of power....

if you desperately needed more power I would junk the air filter and fit a paper one, up jet the carbs a tad, but I doubt they need much, and then fit nitrous oxide

or throw it all away and fit a modern engine with a modern gearbox and see how that goes...bet it would not be that difficult...B60's are not small engines and a 3 litre BMW 6 cylinder with 300 plus BHP could be made to fit easily...thats more than double the B60 output...you could even fit an auto box to whatever your thinking too...that would be a lot of fun to try...

are you doing this in a Ferret. they fly along...

Injection on its own wouldn't really yield significant power, maybe a bit here and there where the mapping is improved. My guess is it's an economy thing - Chris?

If changing engines you'd want to pay attention to required characteristics as well - for example, you might not fit a high horsepower, high revving engine in an application where flexibility and torque at low rpm was important.

Dear All,

I have fitted electronic fuel injection (EFI) to the Meteor M120 in the Conqueror ARV.

I think that the B60 is a lovely engine and would not want to knock the original set up.

However the advantages and facilities of EFI are:

Cranking enrichment

After start enrichment

Cold temp enrichment.

No stale fuel in carb float chamber.

On the Conqueror a huge improvement in fuel economy.

The system I used was a Megasquirt with injectors normally to be found in a V8 Range Rover but two per cylinder.

The problem with the Conqueror has been to get mapping correct because it has not been possible to hold the engine at a certain power output. However, the system has a feedback loop and Lambda sensor and in most circumstances this will correct the mixture. This means that when pulling the mixture is correct and therefore minimises fuel consumption.

I don't know if EFI could extract more power out of a B60 and I am not even sure that is desirable. I think the driver for EFI is good and reliable starting combined with good fuel economy.

John

Injection on its own wouldn't really yield significant power, maybe a bit here and there where the mapping is improved. My guess is it's an economy thing - Chris?

If changing engines you'd want to pay attention to required characteristics as well - for example, you might not fit a high horsepower, high revving engine in an application where flexibility and torque at low rpm was important.

Hi Sean, yes economy is always thought about ;)