Francis AFV Spotlight

Tarland

Question

All,

I have managed to acquire a really good condition Ex AFV/Land rover Francis spotlight (looks like an ex CVRT example). Only problem is the power cable has had the connector removed.

What would normally be fitted?

In trawling the Forum I found the following in the Old For Sale section:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?37750-Afv-francis-searchlight-m9-floodlamp

Can anyone advise what the connector is in the photo - Amphenol? Would the cable have the "pinned" connection (male) and the Female/socket be on the vehicle? A keyed 2 pin connection?

I work in the offshore subsea business and there are various conventions about when and where male and female connectors are used. Is there a similar approach on AFV's - CVR(T), CET's etc.

Normally the pin connections are used on components that are easily retrieved so in the event of damage they can be repaired - pin's being supposedly more vulnerable...........

15 answers to this question

A better question would be, what kind of vehicle are you planning on putting it on? From there you can determine what power connectors are available to you and select a plug appropriately.

The one that you linked _could_ be a Clansman type 2 pin power connector, but it's difficult to tell for sure.

Cheers,

Terry

Quick picture of three pin male plug on my lamp.

Can you give us a look at the insert with contacts and threads?

I'd start with looking at:

MIL-DTL-5015 connectors - http://www.militarysystems-tech.com/files/militarysystems/supplier_docs/Amphenol%20Solutions%20Guide.pdf

62GB connectors - http://www.amphenol.co.uk/sites/default/files/62gb%20catalogue_full_update%2018_09_2013.pdf

I've come across those (or tools for those) in surplus kit.

Please let me know if I was right.

Right gents. I stripped out the plug. These came from a DERA site, who have a habit of doing things their own way with kit. :-D and tend to hang on to odd bits for years so could be anywhere from 1940's to 1970's and beyond. The metal is non magnetic, I think machined aluminium. Inert insert is porcelain. Around the edge of the case are five sets of numbers 0568/5938/99/427/7361 No manufactuers name or mark. Funnily enough I do remember it being mentioned that the plug and the connector 'Are of a sort used in marine applications'. Given where they came from, also likely to be explosive safe.

Hope this is of some help. The same mass tidy up included fifty or sixty WW2 Field dressings, so may well be same era.

Right gents. I stripped out the plug. These came from a DERA site, who have a habit of doing things their own way with kit. :-D and tend to hang on to odd bits for years so could be anywhere from 1940's to 1970's and beyond. The metal is non magnetic, I think machined aluminium. Inert insert is porcelain. Around the edge of the case are five sets of numbers 0568/5938/99/427/7361 No manufactuers name or mark. Funnily enough I do remember it being mentioned that the plug and the connector 'Are of a sort used in marine applications'. Given where they came from, also likely to be explosive safe.

Hope this is of some help. The same mass tidy up included fifty or sixty WW2 Field dressings, so may well be same era.

That looks like 0568 followed by a NATO stock number. If you can find someone with old catalogue information you could look it up.

5938-99-427-7361

Can you give us a look at the insert with contacts and threads?

I'd start with looking at:

MIL-DTL-5015 connectors - http://www.militarysystems-tech.com/files/militarysystems/supplier_docs/Amphenol%20Solutions%20Guide.pdf

62GB connectors - http://www.amphenol.co.uk/sites/default/files/62gb%20catalogue_full_update%2018_09_2013.pdf

I've come across those (or tools for those) in surplus kit.

Please let me know if I was right.

From here it looks like a small Niphan connector, so possibly made of brass/bronze.

Chris.

That looks like 0568 followed by a NATO stock number. If you can find someone with old catalogue information you could look it up.

5938-99-427-7361

The group preceding the NSN is the Domestic Management Code, it is not 0568 but O568 which is a Royal Navy DMC for Connectors, Electrical. Not that it helps identify it any more :-D

The group preceding the NSN is the Domestic Management Code, it is not 0568 but O568 which is a Royal Navy DMC for Connectors, Electrical. Not that it helps identify it any more :-D

I've polished everything up, and yet again, Clive is correct! :bow:Code 0568- Which explains why I was told it was marine

http://www.nsn-now.com/Indexing/ViewDetail.aspx?QString=5935994277364

gives a manufacturer of Niphan and a reference to Def Stan 59-4 part 6.

I thought it looked like a Niphan plug.

Can we have a look at the pins (and a measurement of the overall diameter, please?

(I may have a matching socket in the bits box if you're very lucky - there are about 4 sizes to choose from.)

Chris.

All,

Thanks for all the various responses.

Please see below photos of the various external connectors for the searchlight (4 pin) and vehicle lights (6 pin) on a CET.

The connection box shown is mounted on the hull alongside the engine bay hatch behind the bucket.

2017-02-24 16.13.25.jpg

2017-02-24 16.13.15.jpg

The matting connector for the spotlight is a 4 pin connector which looks to be an older version of the current Amphenol connector. Only two pins are wired - a two core cable is used on the searchlight.

2017-03-11 17.29.07.jpg

No obvious NSN ID to assist confirming manufacturer etc.