Is my S3 FFR too tall?

54GF42

I have just acquired 61KB78 which is a 1983 vintage FFR 109. The B card tells me that it had a pampered life with the Equipment Officer at the Royal School of Artillery at Larkhill. To this day it still only has 27k miles on the clock.

I notice that it comes with the taller '1 ton' spring shackles and a lack of sill panels. Is this 'as issued' or has it been played with?

imgcache0.140428691_zpsismknd61.jpg

Sills have been removed.

It would be Ex-Solihull with extended shackles , however in-service (MOD) I can't recall the raised position being used . If you do play with them - the sets have shim washers stowed with bolts, don't loose them - you should check they are there ,,

Sills have been removed.

It would be Ex-Solihull with extended shackles , however in-service (MOD) I can't recall the raised position being used . If you do play with them - the sets have shim washers stowed with bolts, don't loose them - you should check they are there ,,

Mine is a '73 S3 FFR and the sill panels are fitted - going by the paint that was on them they've been there from day 1. Spring shackles look to be the same as the original posters.

Mine is a '73 S3 FFR and the sill panels are fitted - going by the paint that was on them they've been there from day 1. Spring shackles look to be the same as the original posters.

Yes , you are correct - I think I intended to type the lower position never used , just checked a user manual - no mention at all.

(meaning the chassis / body position - not the position of spring bolt on the shackle plates)

Raised c of g , apparently does not affect the side slope - worst situation stability against a civvy basic 109" , however never read any definative SOURCE info. There must be a MOD publication on the subject ?

Edited by ruxy
amd.