Help with Identification please Optical test? Inferred ?

deanthebean

Question

I may be stupid but seems a good place for me

I have some form of perhaps optical test equipment or perhaps its something to do with infer red

I have no Idea but I know you guys are the best in the business and will be able to tell me what it is

and perhaps what it is for , It states top and base unit and has some form of telescope that moves in and out

and all sorts of switches and nobs please have a look at the pictures a big heavy lump would love to know what it is

please help if you can Thanks

military test 001.jpg

military test 004.jpg

military test 005.jpg

9 answers to this question

I may be stupid but seems a good place for me

I have some form of perhaps optical test equipment or perhaps its something to do with infer red

I have no Idea but I know you guys are the best in the business and will be able to tell me what it is

and perhaps what it is for , It states top and base unit and has some form of telescope that moves in and out

and all sorts of switches and nobs please have a look at the pictures a big heavy lump would love to know what it is

please help if you can Thanks

Just a few extra pictures Regards Dean

military test 008.jpg

military test 018.jpg

military test 019.jpg

As you have spotted the NSC 6650 covers Optical Instruments, Test Equipment

The Domestic Management Code that precedes the NSN is V7 & that is Test Equipment specially designed for Fire Control Equipments & Instruments. So at a guess it might be to do with testing Flash Spotting Instruments in artillery location?

Yes Flash Spotting Instruments was just a guess, but a guess can be a good trigger for people to be ready to say it is wrong & then we get to find out what it really is. :-D

There are two more avenues for me to explore.

EMER INSTRUMENTS although it may have migrated to EMER TEST & MEASUREMENT when that series was created. If I have nothing in there I'll look through the detailed indexes of A 001 respectively.

Yes Flash Spotting Instruments was just a guess, but a guess can be a good trigger for people to be ready to say it is wrong & then we get to find out what it really is. :-D

There are two more avenues for me to explore.

EMER INSTRUMENTS although it may have migrated to EMER TEST & MEASUREMENT when that series was created. If I have nothing in there I'll look through the detailed indexes of A 001 respectively.

It won't be Flash Spotting because it's dated 1988 and Flash Spotting was long gone by then. :-D

Scaled in 'Mils", and with filters and "Day" lamps... alignment unit for one of the tank gunsights?

It's black, and AC mains powered so presumably workshops kit.

Chris.

Now I see a machine for testing image intensified night vision, daylight sighting and surveillance instruments.

Well that's Interesting I guess the next thing to work out is what I am going to do with It

As I am guessing there are not to many people in the world with this at the top of there wanted list. :-):-)

Once again thanks all for the info If anyone has more info please let me know Thanks