My first truck MK1 Militant for restoration

Truck257

Hello everybody I am new to all this so bare with me, I am a 21 year old from the west Midlands and have recently wanted a classic truck to restore I have already restored a couple of my own 50's 60's and 80's cars converting an Austin A30 into a oval track race car, but that's enough about cars I wanted I classic truck was looking into the Bedford TK and KM models was ringing a few people and buying magazines then I bought December's Issue of Vintage and classic commercials and on the front page was a dark red militant. I'm pretty sure he's on the page with the MK1 tanker ? Rob ? I saw that and read the whole section and just felt right looking at it and I said to myself that is just awesome, I'd love one of them and surely enough I scoured the internet and found a militant in my price range (I didn't have a big budget) it was advertised on this site not long ago. So I viewed it fell in love then agreed to collect her. Picked her up last Saturday and am currently nibbling away fixing little things whilst trying to keep the missus happy as she knows only too well how much time I spend I'm the garage on a project till its done. Any advice on parts or people to talk to would be great. Thanks for reading. Andy

• Like 1

This is the Militant a guy I know was selling, photo here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?53874-Karrier-K6-AEC-Militant-Dana-axles-Jeep-and-Dodge-D-M880-CUCV-parts-etc&p=475473#post475473

Well done Andy, I think from what I saw of it you've got a good basis for a restoration there; it's pretty solid and not too many issues, I think.

I do hope there are more of the younger generation on here. The youth need to start saving these old girls aswell whilst we're young and free ;) and as for the second reply yes it is that one :) yes she seems in a good state hopefully stays that way once I start stripping her down. As you put it up for sale, do you know anything about her or know anybody who would ? As I know nothing of her past...

Andy, no, sorry, I know nothing more about it than you - I just posted it up as I knew Steve was thinking of selling and those here might be interested. I know it came from someone over at Hurn Airport but that doesn't narrow it down as there are two big industrial estates over there.

If you want the military history you could see if the Royal Logistics Corps museum people at Deepcut have got it; that's where most of the soft skin vehicle records that survived ended up.

http://www.rlcarchive.org/VehicleSrch

Just hope the missus done read this :') she's all for the truck for now.... And thanks anyway I have applied to the RLC and they are on it now hopefully they will find something but nothing yet, I have joined the AEC society and hoping they can get me the registration and log book soon :) fingers crossed

Welcome aboard, my friend. May I congratulate you on your good taste in trucks.

You are correct in your assumption, that was my Militant you saw in the CVC, and yes I own the tanker too. And, you are in the right place to read both their restoration threads.

You are also in the right place for all the help, advice, encouragement, inspiration, mickey taking and just about everything else you might need to help keep you smiling when it's all gone wrong and you wonder why you bought the thing in the first place.

She looks fairly solid, even if the paintwork is a little tatty. Starts and runs too which is a plus. Thing to remember is, it is all repairable. Just takes time and effort, and, of course, money, and then some more money. Then you have to put diesel in it, to take it to a show, and that takes even more money! :-D.

Speaking of shows. Date for your diary. Late May bank holiday Sat 26-Sun 27 AEC Society Rally at Newark Showground. An absolute must see, even without the truck. Society stuff and many AEC specific trade stands, and an awful lot of like minded nutters enjoying beer, bar-b-cues and truck talk.

More and more photos are required please.

I should be able to give you some clues as to age etc if you can give me the chassis number. You'll find it stamped into the chassis just behind the front bumper. Should start 0859, then another 3 or 4 numbers.

VIN View 3.jpg

About here, just above the headlamp bracket.

Very best of luck with it, and whatever you need to know just ask.

• Up 1

Neil, it's an FV11008 and I don't think the rear arches are original. Body is MK.

You sure that's an 8, Sean? Looks like a short wheelbase, which would make it a 7,or maybe a tipper chassis. Those rear arches aren't the right shape for a gun tractor, might not be Militant at all, just some that fitted at the time.

Doesn't matter really, it's been saved and that's what counts

It's an 8, Rob, it's still got it's MoS plate on. It's been shortened. On first glance the arches look artillery tractor but in fact they're a lot flatter, and in real life you can see they've been modified to fit so they're actually from something else.

I didn't have a really good poke at it when I saw it, but did have more than a casual glance; if you look past peeling paint, the non-original body and general lack of love it looks like quite a decent solid truck.

Welcome aboard, my friend. May I congratulate you on your good taste in trucks.

You are correct in your assumption, that was my Militant you saw in the CVC, and yes I own the tanker too. And, you are in the right place to read both their restoration threads.

You are also in the right place for all the help, advice, encouragement, inspiration, mickey taking and just about everything else you might need to help keep you smiling when it's all gone wrong and you wonder why you bought the thing in the first place.

She looks fairly solid, even if the paintwork is a little tatty. Starts and runs too which is a plus. Thing to remember is, it is all repairable. Just takes time and effort, and, of course, money, and then some more money. Then you have to put diesel in it, to take it to a show, and that takes even more money! :-D.

Speaking of shows. Date for your diary. Late May bank holiday Sat 26-Sun 27 AEC Society Rally at Newark Showground. An absolute must see, even without the truck. Society stuff and many AEC specific trade stands, and an awful lot of like minded nutters enjoying beer, bar-b-cues and truck talk.

More and more photos are required please.

I should be able to give you some clues as to age etc if you can give me the chassis number. You'll find it stamped into the chassis just behind the front bumper. Should start 0859, then another 3 or 4 numbers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123460[/ATTACH]

About here, just above the headlamp bracket.

Very best of luck with it, and whatever you need to know just ask.

Brilliant thanks for all that mate am looking forward to the rally will definitely be going with all my pocket money !! And I will look at the numbers when I get back to the unit :) I know the chassis number is 0859993 and the contract number is 6/VEH/17911 and it is a FV11008 those numbers are firmly engraved on the inside of my brain at the moment with trying to get it registered :')

Quite surprised to hear it is an FV11008. From the photos I would have put money on it being a short one. To me, the position of the air tanks, that close to the rear axle, gives it away.

The FV11008 should be a long wheelbase model, measuring 16' between the axles. The short wheelbase motors only being 12' 10.5" They must have chopped out 3 foot from just behind the cab.

One day I'll get to see it close up, and see how it was done

Appearances can be deceptive

The 8 is "Truck 10 ton General Service Cargo ( 18 ft ) 6x4"

As others say - she looks shorter than that so it would be worth taking up Robs offer to verify the chassis number.

Is the MoD data plate still on the chassis (passenger side just behind the tyre inflator? If so you can pull the mil reg from that and look it up on the RLC Museums archive web site.

This is my plate:

img__3309_zps3agfikot.jpg

Is the MoD data plate still on the chassis ... If so you can pull the mil reg from that and look it up on the RLC Museums archive web site.

Hey Neil,

I have applied to the RLC and they are on it now...

It's an 8, Rob, it's still got it's MoS plate on.

Should have gone to Specsavers! ;)

Is an FV11008 18' - I thought they were 16' ?

Not that this one is, but I also thought there was a short GS cargo, FV11007 at 14' ?

Hey Neil,

Should have gone to Specsavers! ;)

Is an FV11008 18' - I thought they were 16' ?

Not that this one is, but I also thought there was a short GS cargo, FV11007 at 14' ?

I put it down to old age Sean :-) From my records the different types of Mk 1 were as follows:

FV 11001 : Tractor 10 ton General Service Medium/Heavy Anti-Aircraft 6x4

FV 11002 : Tractor 10 ton General Service Medium/Heavy Anti-Aircraft 6x6

FV 11003 : Truck 10 ton General Service Crane Bridging 6x4 or 6x6

FV 11004 : Truck 10 ton General Service Tipper ( End Only ) 6x4

FV 11005 : Truck 10 ton General Service Tipper ( Three Way ) 6x4

FV 11006 : Truck 10 ton General Service Fuel Tanker 2500 Gallon 6x4

FV 11007 : Truck 10 ton General Service Cargo ( 14 ft ) 6x4

FV 11008 : Truck 10 ton General Service Cargo ( 18 ft ) 6x4

FV 11009 : Truck 10 ton General Service Fuel Tanker 2500 Gallon 6x4

FV 11010 : Tractor 10 ton General Service for Semi-Trailer 6x6

FV 11011 : Truck 10 ton General Service Crane Missile 6x6

FV 11012 : Truck 10 ton General Service Cargo Dropside 6x4

FV 11013 : Truck 10 ton General Service Crane General Purpose 6x4

FV 11014 : Truck 10 ton General Service Excavator 6x4 or 6x6

FV 11015 : Truck 10 ton General Service for 20 ton Trailer 6x6

FV 11016 : Truck 10 ton General Service Cargo ( 18 ft Dropside ) 6x6 Front hook 7 ton Winch

FV 11017 : Truck 10 ton General Service Self Propelled Launcher 6x4

FV 11021 : Truck 10 ton Tipping Platform, Self Loading, RE 6x6

FV 11022 : Truck 10 ton Heavy Duty ( RAF ) 6x6

FV 11031 : Tractor 10 ton General Service Light Anti-Aircraft 6x6

Little bit deeper into the mystery tonight with the RLC archives ringing me back only to find 2 different cards for chassis number 0859993 2 completely different vehicles doing different things, Both vehicles starting service in Jan 56 both going to Germany one ending service in 75 and one in 83. 1 card is right and the other is a cock up with the chassis number. I think I know which one it is thought after having an hour on the phone with Rob (Zero-Five-Two) brilliant talking to him about the truck and me saying something ive noticed about my truck and him going well that's not right or it should have this and I'm like I don't think it's got one.... :) I also had a good look round the truck today and found a plate on the compressor and at the bottom it says 10/55 I presume is October 1955 so I've got a pretty sure date of when she was built :D

..........after having an hour on the phone with Rob (Zero-Five-Two) ...........

Yeah! I left him on hold for ages!!! :-D

Was a good chat, I think the REME rebuild plate on the engine will be your biggest clue to which record belongs to yours. It certainly had a good life with the Military, and hopefully you will get to find out more with the record card.

If it had the best part of 30 years Military service, it would have had allsorts of repairs and modifications, depending on which units it served with. I know a lot of the fuel tankers were converted to flatbeds later in service, and the Royal Engineers had a load of cargo trucks refurbished in the eighties for extended service as bridge carriers. Could have been something like that.

When you get chance, bung some more photos on, please, be good to see inside the cab, especially the auxillary gear and winch levers, I didn't think GS cargo wagons had winches

Little bit deeper into the mystery tonight with the RLC archives ringing me back only to find 2 different cards for chassis number 0859993 2 completely different vehicles doing different things, Both vehicles starting service in Jan 56 both going to Germany one ending service in 75 and one in 83.

So if you could find a post-1975 in service date stamp somewhere that'd say conclusively which one it is.

I took some photos while it was at Steve's, if Andy doesn't mind my posting them:

IMG_0025m.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

Edited by Sean N

when i was lulwoth camp i drove a short wheel base flat bed aec miltant on range duty's and it had been modified at 45 command work shop they did two both short wheel base a 6x4 and a 6x6 the 6x4 suffer a major accident head on with a centurion range hull painted bright yellow both did not see each other