My first truck MK1 Militant for restoration

Truck257

Richard, complete sense, and as the forum's foremost exponent of [Militant] engine changes that's what I hoped you'd chip in with.

I think you've commented before that engines might be changed for often quite trivial reasons if the vehicle was needed urgently and fault diagnosis or obtaining and fitting spares would take longer than changing engines?

What of the 'Class 3' entry? Am I misunderstanding / misinterpreting?

Richard is probably better placed to advise on this but my understanding is the class A, B or C referred to age/perceived reliability. A vehicle would enter life in category A being brand new then at a certain point in a vehicles life it would be downgraded to B then at another point to C.

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Richard, complete sense, and as the forum's foremost exponent of [Militant] engine changes that's what I hoped you'd chip in with.

I think you've commented before that engines might be changed for often quite trivial reasons if the vehicle was needed urgently and fault diagnosis or obtaining and fitting spares would take longer than changing engines?

Thanks Sean,

In workshops we would do a top overhaul and things like that, and rebuild engines where there were no replacements available, like AEC 690, 760 and 505, of which I did a number of on loaders, cranes and dumptrucks. It made no sense to rebuild an engine if a replacement was available through Ord. You only have to demand one item, whereas a rebuild would entail numerous parts and you only need a nil stock on one or two to delay a job. We had a line doing all types of Bedford and Land Rover engines so were good for parts for them. In workshops we would not change engines for trivial reasons, but it did happen in the field.

Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

Richard is probably better placed to advise on this but my understanding is the class A, B or C referred to age/perceived reliability. A vehicle would enter life in category A being brand new then at a certain point in a vehicles life it would be downgraded to B then at another point to C.

Neil,

This Class system is probably based on the earlier REME procedure of Class I, II, III, etc. and Clive posted up a scan, check this link and go to post #10

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?56356-Stenciled-text-on-petrol-tank&highlight=class+III

I have not got time now to delve further, but no doubt Clive will spot this.

cheers Richard

my understanding is the class A, B or C referred to age/perceived reliability. A vehicle would enter life in category A being brand new then at a certain point in a vehicles life it would be downgraded to B then at another point to C.

Neil, this is my understanding as well, also per Wally and Richard's comments and other discussions such as the recent one Richard has linked to.

What I'm trying to puzzle out is the Class 3 entry on the record card. This appears to be the only entry for class, and crucially appears to be in the same hand and pen as those that filled out the vehicle details, as I mentioned earlier.

That raises questions about when the record card was filled out, as it implies the vehicle was already over planned life when the record card was started; making me wonder whether there was another record card, dating from 1956, that has been lost.

However, I don't know enough about the record card system for this to be any more than speculation; and of course even if I am right, the other record card might just have shown it sitting at 38 VRD.

In a way I'm just using the excuse of this detective story to learn and satisfy my own curiosity!

In workshops we would not change engines for trivial reasons, but it did happen in the field.

Richard, thanks, that confirms my memory of our previous discussion on the subject.

Also I don't know if it's just me. But seeing Rob's vehicle card and looking at my own I noticed that the dates in 1977 are written in on Rob's card and mine in what seems identical hand writing ? The numbers look identical especially the 77 ? Anybody else see this ?

Screenshot_2017-02-21-18-58-40.jpg

Record Card 10001.jpg

Screenshot_2017-02-26-21-23-50.jpg

Screenshot_2017-02-26-21-24-01.jpg

Finally got the truck in the worship from the yard. What a arse !!!! Empteyed the yard wound it most of the way with the starter motor in low first on full left hand lock just about squeezed through the door :o took us 2 hours and 15 minutes to get the truck 15 yards :P but anyway that's the hard bit out of the way now. Time to take the gearbox out and get the clutch re lined so Atleast it will be movable then !!

IMAG2556.jpg

IMAG2564.jpg

IMAG2558.jpg

IMAG2556.jpg

IMAG2564.jpg

IMAG2558.jpg

Well that went well ! :D was a very interesting thing to take out. Exhaust off compressor off prop off couple of air pipes off then time for the gearbox out ! Bolts out sling round the box on the engine crane behind the cab, all the bolts out and nothing's moving, bars are leaving here there and everywhere. Still nothing. So dad brakes out the Porter power couple of hard pumps and she moved couple more go's with the bars and she came flying out :) pulled her out on the wooden trolley cleaned up then pulled the clutch out. Just to clarify of anybody wants to attempt this and hasn't done one before. They are heavy ! Especially when it's at head height ! Anyway all that's out and the friction plate has collapsed and ripped it self apart so need to get that's sorted then get it's all back in and driving :D

IMAG2600.jpg

IMAG2601.jpg

IMAG2602.jpg

IMAG2603.jpg

IMAG2604.jpg

IMAG2605.jpg

Thanks for the positivity :) and the pressure plate should be okay once I clean it up with a sander with some decent grit paper and the same goes to the flywheel it should clean up. And yes Rob a place not far from me dose re lining and re riveting as I've noticed that's the center plate rivets have come loose and let's it turn slightly so that will have to be done but apart from that a good clean up and grease and she should be good to go :) also I will be putting new compressor belts on on get the compressor running and see what works and what doesn't :D that's all for now. Well today (Sunday) the fuel tank will he coming off for a clean out as she keeps sucking up the crap in the tank and stops running so that's the next step :)

Fuel tank is off and the gearbox is clean looks awesome really getting stuck in now ! I have now found many holes in the fuel tank so got to fix that. Just got to decide what colour to paint everything before it goes back together :) dare I ask ? ;) ......

IMAG2606.jpg

IMAG2611.jpg

IMAG2612.jpg

IMAG2619.jpg

IMAG2620.jpg

IMAG2621.jpg

Well you certainly don't mess about once you get going on something!!! Good weekends effort. Trouble with early Militant fuel systems is there is nothing between the tank and the lift pump. Any dirt at all in your diesel and it goes straight to the pump and every thing stops. Can I recommend fitting a sedimenter pot in the line while you are doing it. Have a look at the one I fitted to my timber tractor, it has saved my loads of grief. As for colour to paint the thing, many will tell you deep bronze green, but if you are going for the range control look bright military yellow will look quite striking