Tachograph Question

jpsmit

Greetings MV aficionados! May I say how much I enjoy just hanging out and watching these projects - Makes my work on cars seem slightly less mad by comparison! :-D

I don't know where else to ask this question and I hope I am in the right place.

Yesterday I purchased a Tachograph - sort of by accident - which is to say that I didn't realize it was a tachograph until I got it home and took a look. Googling around, it seems to be really similar to this one on ebay (not quite)

http://www.ebay.at/itm/Kienzle-LKW-Tachometer-Tachograph-Fahrtenschreiber-mit-Uhr-Original-selten-/262731099282?hash=item3d2bfe6c92:m:m5px02Z2bkPOX43rkDdWWCA

Does anyone know about these things? Is there a market for them? I was going to use the clock part for a desk clock, but, if it is saleable for what this guy seems to be asking, I would be just as happy to continue to fund the Vauxhall restoration.

Any thoughts? Cheers all and thanks in advance!

Sounds like an analog tacho with a round face, It uses a daily chart. There was also had a version, oblong box with a tray that you put the chart on.They have been superceded by digital ones with a drivers card. They are saleable but a small market I would think.

Hello JP, I think it might, the question is to what extent.

I have a couple of tachos here, late '70s to 80s paper disk type tachos of plastic construction. I'd be pleased to find out they're worth something but I don't think they are. A quick search seems to indicate maybe £50 if that.

Your tacho is obviously older and I would think not common, so IF someone is restoring a truck of that era and needs to replace the tacho it would obviously be of value to them. The reservation is how many people are restoring trucks of that era - there never used to be that many, but there is increasing interest in them; I don't know what the vintage commercial scene is like where you are.

There are a lot of people asking very optimistic prices for things out there, but not necessarily getting them. Thing to do might be keep an eye on that one and see if it sells, or search eBay with the 'completed listings' or 'sold listings' filter checked to see what actually sold.

Of course, the other way to do it is stick it on eBay as an auction at at a moderate price or at a higher price with best offer and let it find its place in the market.

How's that Viva GT coming on?

It may be usefull to some one, I have a digital one that was supposed to be 12 volt for my pick up but when it came it was 24volt. Everything has a use it just depends how long you can keep it. I can only open my she door, to get in I have to put stuff outside. I lost most of my stuff in a fire years ago, but the heap keeps growing.

Hello JP, I think it might, the question is to what extent.

How's that Viva GT coming on?

Thanks all for your perspectives - It was originally advertized as a speedometer - and what caught my eye was actually the clock - My intent in purchasing was to make an interesting desk clock - which may still happen. Checking completed listings is an excellent idea!

The GT is pretty stationary at the moment - We have been doing a fair number of home renos which take priority - that said, I went out last night to start to make room - and promptly put out my back <doh!> but, would love to have it on the road for the British car Day in September!

What is the legality of having a Tacho fitted and not using it? I have limited experience of tachos but one case I remember was taking the boss to the shops and back about 3 miles in a van equipped with a tacho. Next day the vans assigned drive went mental because the boss hadn't changed out the the tacho graph and the journey was recorded as his.

A general rule of thumb. If the vehicle is used for Hire and Reward a record must be kept.Also an Operators Licence will be required. If the vehicle is kept for Private use and none commercial none profit making a record does not need to be kept.Although the 10 hour blanket U.K. driving rule must be adheared to. Keep a blank disk in the unit so as not to damage the stylus on the old style tachograph. It is generaly best to use a recording device if fitted to keep a record for maintainance of the vehicle. A profesional driver who has to keep a record of his previous 28 days duty and driving time with him if he is driving anything other than a private car or bike, will use a fitted recording device if he is using a vehicle to keep a record of what he has done, making it easier to explain if he gets stopped by an enforcement agency person. So as not to compromise his normal fixed working week. That is the way I interperated the rules when I drove C+E etcetera

What is the legality of having a Tacho fitted and not using it? I have limited experience of tachos but one case I remember was taking the boss to the shops and back about 3 miles in a van equipped with a tacho. Next day the vans assigned drive went mental because the boss hadn't changed out the the tacho graph and the journey was recorded as his.

The vehicle was obviously "in scope" of drivers hours as it had a tacho fitted and I presume was being used in conjunction with a trade or business.

Therefore any driver of that vehicle is required to keep records of his driving

So a couple of things

The regular driver should at the end of his shift removed and completed his tacho chart, leaving the chart in at the end of the shift can be construed as not complying with the EU drivers hours regs. The driving you did would appear on his chart as his driving

Secondly you should have inserted a chart to record your driving (however short) period

Also to comply with the EU drivers regs as you have driven a vehicle "in scope" you are required to complete records of your work and rest for the complete week (done by making manual entries on blank charts) even if this did not include driving duties

These would have to be retained by you for 28 days to be produced if required by an enforcement officer if you drove that van again and then returned to the office at the end of that period

Complicated I know for a three mile trip but those are the rules

If anybody need chapter and verse on both the EU regs and the domestic rules go to the DVSA website and download GV262 (this is the drivers hours rules document) Oh and its free!