Deactivated weapons at military shows.

Bigjohn

I'm about to start my first season as HMV owner and am unsure about whether I can carry my deactivated rifles etc at shows like the War and Peace.

I'm currently refitting the rifle holders to my vehicle and they will obviously look better with something in them. Can I do this legally?

Obviously they will be covered or boxed while on the way to events.

Common sense suggests you keep them out of sight and secure when travelling to/from.

At a show like W&P having them on display should be no problem at all, I'd have thought. But again, they are a lure to the light fingered, so suggest you keep them secure, even when on show.

Keep the deact certs with you (or copies of, if you prefer to keep the originals at home for safety) so in the unlikely event of someone in authority getting worried about them, you can show that they are indeed deacts.

With a few minor precautions and a degree of care, you should be fine.

Exactly what's been said above.

I display a lot of weapons and ordinance at shows and all are to be treated as live weapons.

Safety on when on display

Drop the magazine and check chamber if letting someone look at it.

Never point or let it be pointed at anyone.

Locked and chained away when not on show (overnight displays)

I like to strip and clean mine at shows too, perfect opportunity to do it, looks like you know your weapon and respect it, PLUS the public like to see you doing stuff (sewing, cleaning, washing, eating, brew up etc) :nut:

The same as in public

Wrapped and covered up.

First things packed away, last things put out on display.

Edited by Hoseman

You don't need to bolt the box down. The law states 'Reasonable Precautions' against theft. What I do is chain an ammo box with a hasp on to the vehicle to keep pistols in if I'm not carrying them. Rifles I use a bike chain take the bolt and mag out , put it through the action and chain to the rifle rack. Bren the same, mag off chain through action to part of the vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...

Friend posted this after a recent meeting

Copied this from mobile military museum, meeting we should keep in mind re gas cylinders

💥💥💥💥💥💥 NOTICE OF ADVICE TO ALL RE-ENACTORS 💥💥💥💥💥💥

JB WAS INVITED TO ATTEND A SEMINAR ON COUNTY EVENTS REGARDING SHOWS WHERE DEACTIVATED WEAPONS ARE CARRIED OR ARE FOR SALE.

IN ATTENDANCE WERE THE POLICE, FIRE AND HEALTH AND SAFETY OFFICERS.

THE POLICE INFORMED THE ATTENDEES THAT BECAUSE OF THE CURRENT POLITICAL CLIMATE A SPECIAL TEAM OF NON-UNIFORMED OFFICERS WILL VISIT THE EVENTS UNANNOUNCED. THEY HAVE THE POWER TO CHALLENGE ANY INDIVIDUAL OR FIRE ARM STALL HOLDER TO PRODUCE THE DEACTIVATION CERTIFICATE FOR ALL WEAPONS.

ANYONE WHO CANNOT COMPLY WILL HAVE THESE WEAPONS CONFISCATED AND HELD UNTIL THE CORRECT DOCUMENTATION IS PRODUCED.

THE FIRE SERVICE ALSO STATED THAT ANY SPARE GAS OR PROPANE CYLINDERS NOT CONNECTED TO EQUIPMENT WILL BE REMOVED TO A SAFE AREA AWAY FROM THE PUBLIC.

💥💥💥💥💥💥 JUST BE AWARE 💥💥💥💥💥

As far as I am aware you do not need a deac cert present as long as the deac proof markings are on weapons etc and you only need them if selling etc (although new legislation reqs the new deac regs) having said this I usually carry certs anyway

To save argument, why not take a copy of the home office rules with you?

Friend posted this after a recent meeting

Copied this from mobile military museum, meeting we should keep in mind re gas cylinders

💥💥💥💥💥💥 NOTICE OF ADVICE TO ALL RE-ENACTORS 💥💥💥💥💥💥

JB WAS INVITED TO ATTEND A SEMINAR ON COUNTY EVENTS REGARDING SHOWS WHERE DEACTIVATED WEAPONS ARE CARRIED OR ARE FOR SALE.

IN ATTENDANCE WERE THE POLICE, FIRE AND HEALTH AND SAFETY OFFICERS.

THE POLICE INFORMED THE ATTENDEES THAT BECAUSE OF THE CURRENT POLITICAL CLIMATE A SPECIAL TEAM OF NON-UNIFORMED OFFICERS WILL VISIT THE EVENTS UNANNOUNCED. THEY HAVE THE POWER TO CHALLENGE ANY INDIVIDUAL OR FIRE ARM STALL HOLDER TO PRODUCE THE DEACTIVATION CERTIFICATE FOR ALL WEAPONS.

ANYONE WHO CANNOT COMPLY WILL HAVE THESE WEAPONS CONFISCATED AND HELD UNTIL THE CORRECT DOCUMENTATION IS PRODUCED.

THE FIRE SERVICE ALSO STATED THAT ANY SPARE GAS OR PROPANE CYLINDERS NOT CONNECTED TO EQUIPMENT WILL BE REMOVED TO A SAFE AREA AWAY FROM THE PUBLIC.

💥💥💥💥💥💥 JUST BE AWARE 💥💥💥💥💥

As far as I am aware you do not need a deac cert present as long as the deac proof markings are on weapons etc and you only need them if selling etc (although new legislation reqs the new deac regs) having said this I usually carry certs anyway

It's fair to say that when the Shorland goes out and about, it will be a broomshank covered in canvas due to the ever-increasing GPMG prices! :cool2::-D

Alec.

Just to be on the safe side. Ensure that you have the deactivation Certificate for your broom shank at shows! :-D

After all you could potentially have someone's eye out with one of those!.....:nut:

The stupid thing is that if the broomstick were mistaken for a firearm by somebody and they were alarmed by it, an offence would likely be committed.

I bought a new phone the other week and the girl in the shop was telling me about the various cases available. I was thinking of a dust proof case and she told me about a chap who had asked for, I assume in jest, a bullet proof case. She was astounded that anybody should need such a thing as ''there are no guns in England''.....

I've got a lot of bullet proof items. The salesman told me my car Diesal engine was bullet proof 'till they forgot to put the oil in. My glasses were bullet proof 'till I sat on them. My dishwasher was bullet proof till the heater failed. So far, everytime some one tells me something is bullet proof....it isn't!

• 4 years later...