Post War Holdall/Washroll

SimonLMoore

Hi Chaps,

Have a question regarding the use of the post war holdall/washroll. I've seen from photos of kit layouts that the simple off white canvas type seems to have been in use into the '50s. I'm interested as to whether anyone can advise on use of the later rubberised green types, both '44 Pattern' and the '50s type which I believe has an extra pocket. Seen the latter dated as late as the '70s, have a 1978 example in the collection.

Basically interested in usage, was it common to carry these in the field? Were there prescribed contents and specific pockets for specific items?

Attached is a work in progress of a holdall to accompany '60s kit layouts, critique would be appreciated, considering exchanging the aluminium soap dish for a plastic example. Shaving cream and KFS in pouch are missing.

IMG_20170207_150400.jpg

Edited by SimonLMoore

IMG_5507.jpg

Well, I still have mine - or at least most of it! Issued to me in January 1959 when I joined up for my National Service. This is one of the items of your kit that you were allowed to keep when you were discharged. It was an item that I always used when travelling around - on Exercise or Courses and so on, for my Washing Kit. In fact I continued to use for many years after I came out of the Army but my wife hated it and after many years bought me something more "civilised"!

I do not recollect that there was any instruction to keep certain items in it - or in any particular order. I do not remember anybody wanting to see it or inspect it after Basic Training. Perfect for the job!

Tony

Hi Chaps,

Have a question regarding the use of the post war holdall/washroll. I've seen from photos of kit layouts that the simple off white canvas type seems to have been in use into the '50s. I'm interested as to whether anyone can advise on use of the later rubberised green types, both '44 Pattern' and the '50s type which I believe has an extra pocket. Seen the latter dated as late as the '70s, have a 1978 example in the collection.

Basically interested in usage, was it common to carry these in the field? Were there prescribed contents and specific pockets for specific items?

Attached is a work in progress of a holdall to accompany '60s kit layouts, critique would be appreciated, considering exchanging the aluminium soap dish for a plastic example. Shaving cream and KFS in pouch are missing.

Your photo looks fine. I was issued an identical one in 1976 (and I still have it tucked away somewhere). As has been said, no one was interested in its contents after basic training, but, you were expected to have certain items of washing and boot cleaning kit in your webbing and you could use one of these to hold them if you wished (many people used simple plastic bags!) I'm not sure about your soap dish - the shape seems to me more like a spectacles case than the aluminium soap dish I had. But, actually, a civilian one would have been more common by then. I don't think many people would have kept their KFS in one, though, far too inconvenient. Most people kept their KFS much closer to hand - in the Energa rifle grenade pouch on the side of the 58 Pattern ammo pouch was pretty common.

Thanks very much for the replies chaps, very useful info, absolutely agree on the KFS point. What could be more civilised than a washroll you can tie around your waste Tony!? These are now being made in MTP camouflage so there must be some who still think they are fit for purpose, if not in more 'civilised' environments.

The example photographed is dated '78, the other I have is '54 as I remember, sadly it's had it's webbing tapes removed so there's some sewing to do.

The soap dish is a '45 dated issue aluminium example, just looks longer I suppose as the bottom edge is just inside the pouch...

Edited by SimonLMoore

• 5 months later...

These green rubberised type were still in use in the 80s - by the longer serving guys. However, most of us by this time had been issued a new version. This type was almost exactly the same as the WW2 white version. These were not old stock resurfacing but newly manufactured - still in a cheap cotton material. As has been said - we only used these for locker layouts and kit inspections.

I have looked on Ebay plenty for an 80s dated one of these white versions but so far without luck.

Yes it looks to be almost complete. I got mine issued in 1975. The soap box was not issued to us then.

A civy plastic one would have been procured & utilised.

You could put whatever you needed/ wanted in these. As was stated, no one was interested in the contents.

At normal unit level, after basic training.

I also had a flannel in mine. Very useful for cleaning parts that needed extra attention to hygiene! ;)

VERY important in the field! You didn't want to go down with an infection/ sore skin areas. Due to sweat! :-X

Also mentioned by another. A 'Tube' with flap & single length of green ribbon. Was issued for the KFS. Flap closed over the contents & the ribbon wrapped around the flap to keep it's contents secure. I suspect the 'Tube' was to prevent the KFS from rattling around in your kit. When on a tactical exercise/ mission. The last thing you needed was NOISE!....:shocked:

Some of the guys used a wooden spoon for eating in the field. No noise from wood scraping on aluminium!...:cool2:

I have a later DPM version of one of these for sale. Should anybody require one? Mike.