Ex-MOD Land Rover 90 (1987 or earlier)

Galea

Looking for an ex-MOD Land Rover 90 with original normally aspirated (or is it normally asphyxiated ;)) engine in good condition, preferably soft top. Must be 1987 or earlier.

Thanks,

Joseph

Edited by Galea

Looking for an ex-MOD Land Rover 90 with original normally aspirated (or is it normally asphyxiated ;)) engine in good condition, preferably soft top. Must be 1987 or earlier. If any leads, please email jggalea@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Joseph

So - it seems that an unmolested drum braked rear axle TUL minta , is getting more desirable - the age or KISS factor ??

So - it seems that an unmolested drum braked rear axle TUL minta , is getting more desirable - the age or KISS factor ??

Both, and also the fact that it would be exempt from the annual road tax over here.

Any clues to where I can find a good example? Regards, Joseph.

Edited by Galea

Both, and also the fact that it would be exempt from the annual road tax over here.

Any clues to where I can find a good example? Regards, Joseph.

I see Malta , there shoud be a few around still - normal problems and rot in the bulkhead. I have one that is very clean all over , Ex-MOD spray finish still but it is not for sale. I put a 2.3 Defender 5mb petrol in as a stop-gap for a 200 Tdi with a later black painted CI gearbox (IIRC the original was the alloy type with a few problems). I then got all the braking thingies and a later disc back axle - then decided not to fit. However I have since obtained a 2.5 Petrol that is correct era. and a pair of new and correct Weber twin-choke as investment spares (they cost more than the engine) ,, petrol = car / diesel = truck .

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Why a diesel on Malta ? Why a coiler on Malta ? IMHO - you would be better looking for a good clean petrol S3 Lightweight

In any case , a early 90" TUL in basic trim - it is just a civvy 90" with MOD spec. lighting (headlamp trim not fitted) and a NATO towing pack (that probably has been removed in any case). That leaves the option of finding a good clean early civvy 90" , (junk the van-top) , a bit of auto electrician work and a glam spray job of IRR NATO Green or a good lusterless Olive Drab / Stone DP - as a Ex-Cyprus truck ,, or would the rivet-counter(s) get at you ?

Basic TUL - means true utility , you will not even have bumperettes on your front bumper blade and IIRC - I also purchased my own correct Defender front lift eyes.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Petrol, leaf spring ... already have my 1942 Willys MB for that! ;)

I can't complain with that as first shout because I like true basic utility. IMHO - a Lightweight offers the same and more but in different ways (I always think you sit on a LR whilst you sit in a Jeep) , as well as the slab sided brutal styling of a S1 - that I prefer. All that the most utility 90" offers extra to me is a bit more comfort on road esp. at higher road speeds and a lot more comfort off road , on Malta you would hardly need a Aux. tank that is a Optional .

Yuk S3 (I have a 88" CL ) plastic dash. I have a S2A 109" also - much more spacious cab like the Lightweight cab is appreciated.

Yes , a plastic dash is a / the BIG downer..

Don't you have any nice rust free Champ on Malta ?

Withams have a 90 LHD NA diesel on their MODSALES website at the moment. They export landys so this could be possible.

Most of their other defenders are 110's but they are all tythonus victims so they are all in pretty good uprated nick.

Eric

Thanks Eric, but I'm looking for a RHD vehicle. No luck yet!

Unfortunatley Land Rovers prices are in the Silly Season, complete wrecks are fetching stupid money. Most Land Rovers of the age you want are worth more in spares than as running vehicles, so are stripped down. Due to Low Emission zones the price of Disiel Land Rovers went down in the London area, but now they are back up and rising all over. If you can get a Series 1 cheap enough around you, offering a straight swop to UK might be an idea, as they are in the £7000 up price bracket