K9 Markings

armouredfarmer

Ive been doing a bit of "paint archeology" on the rear body of the K9 and have come up with this

20170205_134405.jpg

Its the good old Lion on a crown as found on the BA flag, but without the crossed swords and on a red over blue horizontally divided background. I know the Lion on a red over blue back ground was UK land forces during WW2 but cant find anything post war. Anyone got any ideas?

Working through that badge revealed what appears to be a plain dark blue smaller rectangle or square but without any discenable markings on it, you can just see the bottom of it below the lions front paw, I shall have another go at it later in the week but unfortanately the dark blue has not keyed to the DBG underneath so is tending to flake off rather than sand back.

I await you suggestions, (please endeavor to keep them clean and on topic :-D)

PT

20170205_134405.jpg

Ive been doing a bit of "paint archeology" on the rear body of the K9 and have come up with this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]123069[/ATTACH]

Its the good old Lion on a crown as found on the BA flag, but without the crossed swords and on a red over blue horizontally divided background. I know the Lion on a red over blue back ground was UK land forces during WW2 but cant find anything post war. Anyone got any ideas?

Working through that badge revealed what appears to be a plain dark blue smaller rectangle or square but without any discenable markings on it, you can just see the bottom of it below the lions front paw, I shall have another go at it later in the week but unfortanately the dark blue has not keyed to the DBG underneath so is tending to flake off rather than sand back.

I await you suggestions, (please endeavor to keep them clean and on topic :-D)

PT

HQ Egypt & Mediterranean Command.

Up to mid-50s.

The Light Stone did it for me!!!:-)

Am I seeing the sand painted over the top of this sign?

If so, this is a War Office Controlled Unit, such as School of Artillery, School of Mechanical Engineering, etc. To gain more accuracy, go to the opposite side of the vehicle and see what coloured square you get, along the top of the square is likely to be a white band with abbreviation of actual unit, so take it carefully.

Bluebelle suggested HQ Egypt but I think that one had a pale blue band below the dark blue, so you might need to rub down a bit lower.

Here is the sign that I believe you have;

WO sign.jpg

Edited by Richard Farrant

Thank you Richard thats it exactly, the Light Stone is a recent layer and on top of the badge. The body on this truck is not original, its been replaced at some point in the last 20 years. paint layers on the body appear to go Grey primer, DBG, DBG, NATO Green (or similar) then red primer, Light stone nato green. The last 3 layers have beeen put on in civilian ownership I'm fairly sure. The Chasis cab goes Grey primer, DBG, Light Stone, DBG and posibbly Nato green with the same three top layer as the body.

PT

Thank you Richard thats it exactly, the Light Stone is a recent layer and on top of the badge. The body on this truck is not original, its been replaced at some point in the last 20 years. paint layers on the body appear to go Grey primer, DBG, DBG, NATO Green (or similar) then red primer, Light stone nato green. The last 3 layers have beeen put on in civilian ownership I'm fairly sure. The Chasis cab goes Grey primer, DBG, Light Stone, DBG and posibbly Nato green with the same three top layer as the body.

PT

Then you will be justified in 'doing over' the K9 into whatever colour scheme and markings you wish .... Light Stone, Libya-based would be nice! Plenty of photos to follow!:cool2:

• 3 months later...

Done a bit more rubbing down, the other side of the truck produced a very un exciting and predictable Royal Signals flash with unfortunately no lettering in sight. For some reason I failed to take a picture but here's the re-painted version

attachment.php?attachmentid=126145&stc=1

I then went back to the other side to see if I could get anywhere with the marking under the Troops under WO Control marking. Its much smaller, about 1/3rd the size and appears to be white on dark blue.

here's the results so far with the last photo with the edges enhanced. The tips of the two pointy bits seem to have traces of black lines suggesting leaves or feathers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=126146&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126147&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126148&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126149&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126150&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=126151&stc=1

Any offers?

PT

IMG_20170512_192040.jpg

IMG_20170512_184648.jpg

IMG_20170512_190553.jpg

IMG_20170512_191107.jpg

IMG_20170512_192001.jpg

IMG_20170512_192003.jpg

IMG_20170512_192001enhanced.jpg