Interpreting Penman Trailer Stencils

Surveyor

Colleagues I would like some help in interpreting thestencils on Penman Trailers, 1 is mine and the others were online at Witham,the stencils appear to differ on all units.

First question is what is the font used for this stencil, anFOI came back advising it would not appear to be a recognised practice.

From Looking at my trailer and Witham’s pictures:

Line 1: 2853-3107

Line 2: MECH

Line3: SERV

Line 4: Tyre

Line 5: PAINT

Line 6: REC

Line 7: KC

Comments;

Line 1: Iassumed this maybe a stock number, they are slightly different on each trailer

Line 2: Notsure, assume it means mechanical

Line 3: Datewhen serviced?

Line 4,5,6,7: Anyhelp on this? Not a clue

Depending on the trailer, lines 2-7 seem to be grouped in2’s and some have dates assume some could refer to servicing not sure re theother dates.

On both trailers, somewhere between Line 5 and 7 there is adate, not sure what this is for? Mine has a date in service 3 months afteraccepted into service, also does not tie up with any date on the MERLIN report.

Also on the others the dates are not in the same place.

Thanks in advance

Ref for stencils 01.jpg

Mine at Witham.jpg

Stencils.jpg

The 4+4 digit code has been known by various things since this particular introduction in 1967, but in general parlance is referred to as the Asset Code. The first four digits were the Establishment Code that defined the role the last bit the make, model, type etc. At some point the MOD changed the structure so that the first part is the Liability Number & the second part is the SIN.

The two systems were in use & a recent FOI request revealed that the MOD had no idea that there was an earlier way to construct it, as some older trailers (not yours) remained on the system could not be "translated" to give a sensible interpretation of what it actually was.

(I don't seem to do very well with FOIs, my most recent one was rejected as "vexatiously burdensome".

REC or R is the date received at a depot.

I see you are interested in the font & size of the stencilling. My recollection is that characters are 1" high. I assume you want to reproduce this on your restored trailer.

The thing to bear in mind is that these are temporary markings for depot administration & were to be removed on issue. So you may well want the trailer to represent its appearance in a vehicle depot, so to be realistic it should be empty & devoid of any unit markings, embellishments or kit.

On the other hand if you want the trailer to depict an in service role with a unit, then the depot markings should be obliterated. So that would save you the hassle of having to stencil it up again.

I have a little chuckle to myself to see nicely restored vehicles on show with all the markings that had ever been on the vehicle/trailer including the temporary depot markings, which makes it look a little silly. It is best not to say anything as I have learnt it can cause a terrible upset to raise any queries about a restored vehicle. :-D

Most of my documents are 20+ years old so you may get an up to date interpretation of the meaning of the markings from the forum member who is still working in this field.

REC or R is the date received at a depot.

I see you are interested in the font & size of the stencilling. My recollection is that characters are 1" high. I assume you want to reproduce this on your restored trailer.

The thing to bear in mind is that these are temporary markings for depot administration & were to be removed on issue. So you may well want the trailer to represent its appearance in a vehicle depot, so to be realistic it should be empty & devoid of any unit markings, embellishments or kit.

On the other hand if you want the trailer to depict an in service role with a unit, then the depot markings should be obliterated. So that would save you the hassle of having to stencil it up again.

I have a little chuckle to myself to see nicely restored vehicles on show with all the markings that had ever been on the vehicle/trailer including the temporary depot markings, which makes it look a little silly. It is best not to say anything as I have learnt it can cause a terrible upset to raise any queries about a restored vehicle. :-D

Most of my documents are 20+ years old so you may get an up to date interpretation of the meaning of the markings from the forum member who is still working in this field.

Should you (or anyone else) want to reproduce the stencilled markings, I have a set of 1" brass stencils going begging. No payment required, as a good home is all that is asked. First PM gets first call.

As an aside to the previous comment, it is no surprise that the MoD have no knowledge of historical Asset Codes (and a lot else), as virtually all experienced staff have been got rid of in the past twenty years.You may be able to tell that I have an axe to grind on the topic,being ex-ASA/ASCA/ATSA myself.

Steve.

Should you (or anyone else) want to reproduce the stencilled markings, I have a set of 1" brass stencils going begging. No payment required, as a good home is all that is asked. First PM gets first call.

As an aside to the previous comment, it is no surprise that the MoD have no knowledge of historical Asset Codes (and a lot else), as virtually all experienced staff have been got rid of in the past twenty years.You may be able to tell that I have an axe to grind on the topic,being ex-ASA/ASCA/ATSA myself.

Steve.

Steve

Its the same with some areas of the public sector as well, get rid of the bods who may know the answer, then spend 4 days when the old gits, I am one, could answer quickly.

Re stencils PM sent

Richard