Leyland Martian questions

Morning all I have a few Martian questions.

Is the Martian gearbox used in anything else or was it built solely for the Martian ?

Is the Martian aux gearbox used in anything else or was that made just for the Martian ?

Where can I find some workshop / users / parts manuals from ?

And lastly what were the production years of the various models ?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Morning all I have a few Martian questions.

Is the Martian gearbox used in anything else or was it built solely for the Martian ?

Is the Martian aux gearbox used in anything else or was that made just for the Martian ?

Where can I find some workshop / users / parts manuals from ?

And lastly what were the production years of the various models ?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I can't answer your question, but I wish I knew how valuable these items would become - I happened to be in potential possession of a spare pair of gearboxes on the day that this picture was taken! Royal Artillery Gun Tractor Martian 45BM41 and Martian Recovery 37BS56.

martianx2.jpg

Chris, to the best of my knowledge the rear axle, transfer and front axle were unique to Martian, I have never seen them on any other vehicle. I believe the gearbox was a mainstream Leyland product. The winch on non recovery variants was the same vertical spindle device fitted to the likes of Explorer and Constructor while the steering system was designed by a certain H. Robinson. They were taken out of service twice for modifications to the clutch and power steering.

The first production ones appeared in 1952/3 and there are suggestions that some were built as late as 1964 but I do know that some were supplied as chassis cabs and stored pending a decision as to what variant would be required. The crew cabs were made by Mann Egerton and Park Royal Vehicles while the others had bodies by Marshall of Cambridge.

Although several variants were planned only five went into production, short and long cargo, crew cab artillery tractor, heavy recovery and a howitzer tractor which looked like a short cargo but with a tilt reduced to the height of the cab roof.

Do you have one or might you be looking for one?

Literature is in short supply but occasionally crops up on ebay and Milweb.

Edited by radiomike7

The gearbox too was Martian specific. There are some manuals listed on ebay, or just check out green machine surplus website, and if still around vintage mv manuals.

Are you after a certain type of Martian? Dave Crouch had an FV1103 advertised a while back.

Simon

Cheers Simon still looking for a nice recovery model,

Chris.

Hi Chris i have a leyland martian heavy recovery and have all the manuals if you get stuck and need any info i could scan some off mine also mine will be at the great dorset steam fair along with my others, i was told that one was crushed recently at a scrap yard and was complete which was a crying shame

Hope this helps thanks Lee

Edited by X6ltr

Hi Chris i have a leyland martian heavy recovery and have all the manuals if you get stuck and need any info i could scan some off mine also mine will be at the great dorset steam fair along with my others, i was told that one was crushed recently at a scrap yard and was complete which was a crying shame

Hope this helps thanks Lee

Thanks Lee for the offer, I am going to try and get to Dorset this year work permitting.

You are right too much good stuff is still getting scrapped :(

Cheers Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like he has two Martians up for grabs - the other is a rarer artillery tractor. Wonder why both have no engine??

These engines have become quite sought after by the replica Rolls Royce and Bentley fraternity they could have gone in that direction for quite strong money.

Dear All,

I bought a gun tractor from Ruddington in 1983 for about £400 and it had no engine and none of the others did either!

John

Ah yes John, but that was because the MOD were short of B series petrol engine parts back then, (I think for the Pigs and Saracens in NI). There were rows of Martian Artillery Tractors at Jacksons all missing the engines.